Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102
Results 2,021 to 2,037 of 2037

Thread: Poster worthy Cobra photos.

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 427HISS View Post
    Just plain silly. Have a tire on board, but nothing to lift it ? I guess if Herman Munster was racing one, he could lift and change the tire at the same time.
    But still, no better technology Carroll, come on. Gee whiller Boyz.
    Shelby was all about using what worked at the lowest cost. Spend the money on things that improve performance not improve the aesthetics. It was a race car.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    I believe that one of Shelby's quotes when they asked him about the street Cobras back then was "We don't make cars to sell, we sell cars to finance out racing program." They used the cheapest and first things they could find and that is why no two of the originals are exactly alike. I even saw a few of the early ones that had two different brands of gauges in the same car.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

I agree, but a latch that stayed shut isn't brain surgery. I'd feel that back in the days all the other car racing teams would laugh their ass's off looking at our high technology of,...bungee cords, to keep a damned trunk shut.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    You need to look at other race cars of that time from old photos, not the over restored cars that they are today.

Back then it was all about the race and winning it. If a problem came up and a bungee cord fixed it for that race, then that was the fix until they could get back to the shop.

I have had all sorts of Shelbys GT350's and 500's and one original 427 Cobra. First the Shelbys. My first car 67 GT500 in 1972. Had to paint it an put it back together. Got to the tail lights. The back panel was cut out with cutters. Talk about a hack job. Also a 66 GT350 convertible. 1 of 4. Bought it in 74 an in 75 I decided to restore a really nice California car. About this time SAAC started to keep track of the cars. Can't tell ya how many times I went out to make sure junk was right. The rear brake scoops were on but had a plate put over the hole because they forgot it was a convertible. Top would rip the hose off goin down. Shelby did a lot of odd things over the years. In 76 got a 427 Cobra. It's the most barbaric car I have ever worked on. BUT it was a simple no frills car. Took it apart in 77. Ya you guys see a pattern here. I needed to have everything perfect. Only thing was is that they were not perfect from the factory. They had to make do with what they had. Have to get some pics loaded !

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Pictures please!
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

I'll use duck tape any day over a bungee ! They stretch too much, and when they get dried out, it will break and whip your balls off like a cowboys bull whip ! SNAP !

I remember seeing one car at one of the races back then that they had tied the doorts closed with a piece of rope. Seemed that on hard cornering they tended to suddenly decide to open.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

When I was 14, I heard a awesome sound a racing engine two blocks away from my home. I ran to find the source. It was a 406cu Chevy in a dirt Outlaw Late Model, and I was hooked on racing. I helped in his shop and all three tracks he raced at. I noticed a rope around the transmission shifter and a bulkhead, so I asked why, well the shifter vibrate and come out of gear, so he'd tie it off. If I can get my main computer hooked up to sell some sprint car parts, I'll scan a pic of the car, the owner and two other pit crew guys. I was a real stud muffin, but a friend gave me a perm hair style, and was good when wet, but as it dried out, it looked like a afro ! lol

Even then, I thought why, why not fix the issue, then use the rope as a precaution ?

Call me, "Mr. Hollywood". Cool dude !

OMG, you will be getting a box full of pens from Nomad and probably a visit form Silver.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

1966 Shelby AC Cobra 427 CSX 3002. The Rare First and Only One

MY ALBUMS

I remember CSX 3002 at Geoff Howards in Danbury Ct in 77. Geoff was helping me with 3147 on weekends. To bad we didn't have camera phones back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    1966 Shelby AC Cobra 427 CSX 3002. The Rare First and Only One

NICE !

It's sitting pretty high, is their no engine ?

1963 Shelby 289 Cobra

MY ALBUMS

Those look like M/S rated tires.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Those look like M/S rated tires.
    They are!

Mexico AND Siberia.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Damn Nomad, that's a good comeback. Did your child bride help you with it?