Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Issues

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar

Clutch Issues

Saturday I heard a loud "popping" sound when I depressed the clutch. I was able to limp home (barely). I think the cable between the clutch pedal linkage and the throwout bearing might have snapped. I will try to get under the car today. Terry Crist do you know which cable the CRll uses?

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

You would know pretty quick if your clutch cable actually snapped. There is no way to get rolling again after coming to a stop, unless you start it in gear, and it would stall out when stopping. Was that the case?

Maybe a clutch finger broke? Any weird rattling going on in that area?
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Bill, Thanks for the thought. The cable has not snapped but seems to have lost a clamp on the upper end. I had partial clutch limping home and got under the car yesterday and took up enough slack with the lower adjustment to get the clutch working. I'm going to take it down to my friend who has a real lift and will try to get it straightened out tomorrow.

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Jim,

I have a ford / CR clutch cable if you need it. Free of charge. S/B less than $15 to ship it.
    Terry Crist

"I might be paranoid, but that does not mean they are not watching me"

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Whatever the fix is, I hope it's external not internal James.

Got my fingers crossed.

Egads....................

Now I can't straighten them.

I hate arthritus.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Terry, Thanks for that offer. It looks like the cable is not broke but apparently an upper bracket let loose and I had only partial use of the clutch (that helped me limp home).

Nomad you have to quit crossing those fingers. We need you to keep them limber for your computer keyboard. This site would be a poorer place without your humor.9::-

Jim

Ok, Did the bracket break or just come loose?

If you ever start looking into changing to a hydraulic one, Bill Emerson says that he as one that is a direct replacement for the pull type clutch cable so you do not have to change the way the pedals work. He says that it is not cheap though.
    Last edited by tcrist; 07-03-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Terry Crist

Terry, I'm not sure if it broke or just came loose. I was going to get it up on a lift this morning but it's raining out so I am a little out of luck. Angry I should know something later today

jim

Banned
    Here is the hydro we got from Brent Lykins. Works great and he's a lot more reliable than others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, That looks really interesting.

Terry, It was the cable. It looks like 1 out of a '79 Mustang according to the guys at the shop. It was about 4' in length. They have ordered the cable from NAPA out of Chicago and it is supposed to be at the shop on Friday. Is that the same cable length you were talking about?

Jim

Jim,

Yep, thats the one.
    Terry Crist

Quote Originally Posted by Redmt View Post
    Here is the hydro we got from Brent Lykins. Works great and he's a lot more reliable than others.
    John,

Is that rod straight? If not, you will/might wear out the bore of the slave cylinder. There is not supposed to be any angle on that rod. It should push straight.
    Terry Crist

Terry, If that cable is just gathering dust at your shop I would be glad to buy it.

Jim

Jim,

As said before, you can have it for shipping. S/B around $15. Just concider it part of the Pay It Forward thread.
    I have your address. I'll send it out on Friday. You can send a check for $15 when you get around to it. No hurry.
    Terry Crist

Terry, I'll send the check to the return address. I have forgotten it since you sent me the alternator. My having it will be the only thing that will prevent the new one from breaking or being the wrong one.

Jim

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
    John,

Is that rod straight? If not, you will/might wear out the bore of the slave cylinder. There is not supposed to be any angle on that rod. It should push straight.
    That was the mock up on the bench. There is plenty of lateral and vertical adjustment to hit the angles correctly. It's a pretty nice setup. The rod also needed to be shortened as it will hit the cutout in the BH otherwise. NOTHING in these cars works out of the box.

So how do you bleed the air from the slave..I don't see any bleed screw?
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Banned
    It's right on the end near the pressure line. Send me your e address to john.chamorro1@gmail.com and I'll send you a couple other pix if you want.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar

Now here is a Topic I know quite abit about.
    Oh wait.
    I reread the Post.
    It reads "Clutch Issues"
    I thought it was "Crotch Issues"
    Sorry about that.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Nomad, that "master chef" in the mugshot looks a lot like the guy from Myth Busters... :crazy
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...