Thread: Mecum Auction

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole

Mecum Auction

Is now on the Motor Trend channel.

I was surprised by the prices paid for a few of the cars on a Wednesday.

A 67 Corvette and a resto mod early Charger both went for $165K

The top seller was a 69 Corvette with an L88 and it sold for $265K.

Only seen one Cobra and it was a nice looking FFR and it sold for $100K.

Going to be interesting to see what some of the higher end cars sell for on Friday and Saturday.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I was surprised by the prices paid for a few of the cars on a Wednesday.

A 67 Corvette and a resto mod early Charger both went for $165K

The top seller was a 69 Corvette with an L88 and it sold for $265K.

Only seen one Cobra and it was a nice looking FFR and it sold for $100K.

Going to be interesting to see what some of the higher end cars sell for on Friday and Saturday.
    I was there today. Was all over the ‘69 L-88, even educating the absolute ignorant Mecum people that were assigned to start it and drive it across the block. I predicted $250-300K and it hammered at $305K. The smell of the 110 octane from its tail pipes was heaven. People just had no clue how rare an L-88 is.

Lots of Cobras in the various staging halls and lots. One Kirkham, one CSX 4000 series, one Superformance, one Johnex, two Backdrafts and a couple or three Factory Fives. Oh…and two originals. The dragon snake and a BB roadster. Both beautiful cars…spoke to the caretaker at length. He had the best job…keeps them clean and running for the owner but gets to drive them without having to pay for insurance, etc.

I got there so early that I was able to sit in a lot of cars that I otherwise would never have. Things like a Lamborghini Countach and a Ferrari 308. And I’ve painfully discovered that most every C2 mid year Corvette does not work with my 6’3” frame. My knees were beyond/above the steering wheel. Damn.
    Last edited by RedBarchetta; 01-12-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

I don't have that 6'3" height problem. For me it is seat width in the upper back and shoulders.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Oh, and that FFR that sold for $100K was a charity car. No FFR will ever get that level of money on its own merit (sorry FFR owners, just stating facts).

A few other observations from yesterday worth noting:

- Mecum and other large humungous auctions like this are sausage factories. They have a ton of workers (more on that in a moment) and it's military-level organized with respect to getting cars there, getting them prepped and on the block, and getting them out of there. But there is a lot to be desired.

- Given the shear size of this auction, they don't have enough indoor space to house every car. People selling parts or all of their collections get the primo indoor spots. So their cars don't get all dusted up outside under tents (or even in open air). You get there in the early morning and every one outside (even under tents) is covered in dew and dirt.

- I saw a just restored top-to-bottom 1970 Buick GSX (white with black stripe and interior) that was a 10 of 10's for restoration work. The signs on it stated that it was driven onto the trailer from the resto shop and driven off...zero miles. And it looked every bit the part...spectacular! Where was it parked? Outside under a tent. This car DESERVED to be inside. Obviously the seller had zero pull with Mecum.

- Same situation existed for a black on black '94 ZR-1 with under 100 original miles and the seats still wrapped. Several (I mean a LOT) very nice C2's as well. Both Lamborghini Countachs, too! Some owners who were there chose to cover their cars in thin clear paint drop cloths. They were prepared.

- Most every car gets a very quick wipe down before entering the block. Owners can pay upcharges for better detailing, including full polishing. I can't imagine the amount of hairline scratching that occurs with every wipe down. I saw MANY cars that boasted of "recent restoration" and the entire car was covered with micro scratching.

-Workers. If you are a first time worker (driver or handling other car details), the first year is VOLUNTEER only. After that first year they will pay you $10/hour. There are no meals provided, not even a cup of coffee in the morning. Dana Mecum is a cheap ass. I learned all of this talking to several drivers directly.

-The L-88 that got north of $300K was a not in concourse shape. It was all there and original but for that level of money most would expect a fresh resto. Then again, try to find one of the 116 up for auction and beggars can't be choosy.

-Speaking of the L-88, there was a placard on the steering wheel that stated "Open hood before starting." The workers there didn't understand that. I had to explain to them (after they lifted the hood) that the spark arrestor that sits on top of the Holley is there for a reason. And having the air filter integrated into the hood scoop can catch fire during a backfire. And guess what happened when they first started it? Boom! and a little ball of flame.

-Last comment on the L-88 (I admittedly was a little smitten seeing and hearing one). I also noticed that it had a steel fan blade and NO SHROUD around the radiator. Now I don't know if the L-88's even came with a shroud to begin with, but the angle of the radiator and position of the fan told me it never did. This would also explain why, in several articles I have read over the decades, why these cars ran hot in traffic. So in order to get each line ready to move toward the block (picture 6-7 lines of cars, each with 15 or so vehicles), they have them start up a little early. Some have battery issues so they have to hustle to jump them (one GTO overheated and spilled green Prestone all over the motor and ground). Well, they start the L-88 and it's just sitting there idling away and I told one of the "captains" there if he knew anything about the aluminum-headed, 12:1 compression monster that was under the hood? Of course he didn't. He lifted the hood and I pointed out the lack of a fan shroud and that these cars can burn themselves up if they just sit and idle for too long. He quickly agreed and gave the driver the cut-off sign to shut it off. I could have minded my own business, but this car is just too rare to see it overheat or break.

Despite the circus atmosphere and the chaos that ensues, I encourage anyone to attend one of these events. So fun to see so many classic cars in spectacular condition or super rare.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    I don't have that 6'3" height problem. For me it is seat width in the upper back and shoulders.
    Mine has always been the length and width in the crotch area.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Mine has always been the length and width in the crotch area.
    do you have to take that all with you driving a car ?

Nomad is lost without his strap on.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post
    do you have to take that all with you driving a car ?
    Sigh ............................ yes.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.