Thread: Self Driving Cars For Real

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar

Self Driving Cars For Real

Well they sure picked a devil of a place to test them. I wonder if there will be an option for them to shoot back at enraged drivers who seem to think shooting at a car is the answer to everything. Road rage shootings are so common out here that they hardly make the news now unless three or four people are killed. It will be interesting to see how their testing in New York works out.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/when-...164631730.html

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Well they sure picked a devil of a place to test them. I wonder if there will be an option for them to shoot back at enraged drivers who seem to think shooting at a car is the answer to everything. Road rage shootings are so common out here that they hardly make the news now unless three or four people are killed. It will be interesting to see how their testing in New York works out.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/when-...164631730.html

Ron
    I don't get it, why buy something you can't drive...

Plus they already exist.. It's called a Cab

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    These don't come with the smell of vomit, BO and curry.

Have you guys seen any of the videos of the Tesla's self driving beta fools? I would find monitoring the self driving so it doesn't plow you into a concrete column far more stressful than drive it yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIdu7prsAw&t=346s

Can you imagine the irresponsibility of selling this as full self driving and hoping no one dies in the process of your army of fools who paid 10K each to beta test this?

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Luce,

I can't believe that people can be so dumb as to trust their lives to something like this. Nearly every day out here I read about another Self Driving car running into a parked truck or vehicle and someone gets killed of seriously injured. I just don't want any self driving vehicle at all.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

The wify's RX350 has "intelligent cruise control". One feature is when you come up on a slower car, it'll use radar to maintain a distance rather than holding 72 MPH until impact. That's nice on the highway. But it also has some steering feedback where it shakes the wheel if it thinks you're getting to close to a lane line. That's irritating, but worse is when you're approaching an entrance or exit and the right lane line spreads or ends, it tries to force you to the middle of the widening or abruptly wider lane rather than tracking left line. I happily found out how to turn that shit off.

Lat week we spent a week in Destin for a week. I didn't even use the cruise control because there were stretches of I10 where everyone was going 90 MPH plus.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I would feel safer riding with Nomad when he is drunk out of his mind on bourbon, than in a self driving car.

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    My wife has a 2020 Lexus RX350 too - I call it her Nanny car. It’s always beeping, squealing, trying to self-steer and brake on its own. Sometimes I pull it way forward in the garage watching the overhead projection view on the info screen to see how close I can get to the shelves in front. When I get about 3 or 4 inches away, the small info screen between the tach and speedo lights up with BRAKE in big red letters and it clamps on its brakes. It’s a hoot.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama

Same with my senior brides Nissan Armada. That damn thing is always bitching at me about something and half the time I have no idea what the issue is.

It's kind of like having a second senior bride around.

My truck has a similar "feature"

It looks out the backup camera and "protects you" from running over shit. The issue is I back into my parking spot. it has an incline down that reverses up, so the camera sees the road as an obsticle and hard right effing now locks up and to make sure you know you've messed up, it locks the ebrakes and disables the tranny. You have to hit the brakes, put it in park, then back in R and disengage the parking brake to continue up the drive to the parking spot. I would have returned the truck if I didn't figure out how to disable that little feature they charged me who knows how much for.

On the Lexus, there's a button on the wheel to disable the steering assist, and not a bad car to drive once you take control.

One of the things I hate about new cars is how they "Package" their options. You can't just go down a list of options and pick what you want. If you want Item "A", you also get Items "B", "C", and "D" even though you don't want them.

Yea, and if you want round wheels or opening windows and A/C, you have to get the nanny packages.

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Yeah,I had to turn the lane assist feature off as it was constantly correcting the steering when I drove. My wife said it was my fault - that I wander around to much and always looking at things. Then she realized it was doing it to her more and more so she finally turned it off for good.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama

I would like a self-driving car in a stop-go situation. Like commuting to work. I know of one manufacturer who aims for that. Max speed 10 mph.
    no signature