Thread: New member Jawfish

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar

New member Jawfish

We have a new member, Jawfish (Frédéric or Fred). Here's what he had to say:

I'm a 52 year old cobra nut, I live in a small town called St Lazare near Montreal Quebec, Canada. For the last 20 years I have dreamed to build a Shelby Daytona Coupe from scratch. I've obtain all the plans sets from Chuck Lindquist, and have been accumulating all the info I can get my hands on the original coupes. I'm finally at a stage of my life where I can make my dream to reality.

I unfortunately do not have any pictures to share yet, but as soon as the first tube is cut, I'll create a build thread.

Fred, we'll all look forward to following your build - that'll be quite a project!

Enjoy the forum.

Kevin

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Fred,

Welcome to the site. I met Chuck Lindquist several years ago and he is quite a builder in his own right. He brought one of his cars up top the Cobra Social we used to have here years ago when there were a lot of them around. I will be looking forward to your build and the pictures. Are you going to hand make the body out of Aluminium?

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Welcome to the site Fred.

That is some project you are undertaking and I'm looking forward to following your build.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Welcome Fred. Can't wait to follow your build Coupe build.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    "I'm finally at a stage of my life where I can make my dream to reality".

Congratulations from British Columbia!

Straight ahead!
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Thank's guys for the warm welcome.

Yes Ron I'm planning to build the body out of aluminum. Yes Chuck is an amazing builder, and his drawings are great, for anybody who love the originals, they are a great addition to their collection.

I'm lucky to have a decent garage for the project as it's almost building 2 cars. In one corner the chassis gets built and in another corner the buck and the body is built. For a period there going to be a lot of back and forth. Building an aluminum body is a big part of the attraction. I should be starting my build next month. I still have some organizing to do in the garage, and a new welding table to finish. The plan is to build a basic 289/Daytona chassis with main hoop, suspension towers and a-arm brackets to go under the buck, then build the buck to go over it. then build the real Daytona chassis to receive the body.

Cheers,
    Fred

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Fred,

I hope that everything goes really well with the build. Don't get discouraged if you have a couple of glitches as everyone who has ever built one of these cars has those. When Chuck was here and we were talking he was just starting his Coupe and showed me some pictures of how he was doing it. He had the chassis of an original 289 Cobra then that he had replaced the wrecked body with a fiberglass one if I remember correctly.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Fred,

I hope that everything goes really well with the build. Don't get discouraged if you have a couple of glitches as everyone who has ever built one of these cars has those. When Chuck was here and we were talking he was just starting his Coupe and showed me some pictures of how he was doing it. He had the chassis of an original 289 Cobra then that he had replaced the wrecked body with a fiberglass one if I remember correctly.

Ron
    Thanks Ron,

I'm sure that I will hit several hurdles, but it's part of the game. I have no illusion, this is one hell of a project, and one that will take several years to complete. I have decent fabrication and good welding skills, but I will need to improve my machining skills and acquire a whole new set of skills for building the aluminum body. I'm a desk jockey so working in the garage always bring me a sense of accomplishment, nothing beats building something that you can hold in your hands.

I have a great youtube playlist of the original coupes or recreations to keep me motivated. Plus I've been making a Daytona coupe corner in my home office. The trick will be to work on it every week and not take prolong breaks.

cheers
    Fred

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    Fred,

Welcome to the site. We all look forward to your build. If you have any questions there are people on this site with the ability to help you.

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Quote Originally Posted by James Stern View Post
    Fred,

Welcome to the site. We all look forward to your build. If you have any questions there are people on this site with the ability to help you.

Jim
    And then there is Nomad.