Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Key! Attn: Superformance Owners.

Missing Key! Attn: Superformance Owners.

I bought my Superformance Cobra (SPO 1641) pre-owned from Park Place. I recently (today) found that I was missing a key that was not supplied with the car. It turns out (from reading the owners manual) that my car takes fours keys - one for the ignition, one for both the hood and the trunk. one for the locking gas cap, and one for the (optional) glove box, which mine is equipped with.

I am missing the glove box key.

The salesman was no help - he suggested I remove the lock and take it to a locksmith. I can't remove the lock - the are no bezel detents to turn. I would have to put a vice grip or a crescent wrench on the bezel, in the process destroying the bezel, and damaging the leather, if that would even work.

I fished around the bottom of the box and found it enclosed on all sides I can't get to the lock from the back. And I can't physically get under the dash anyway.

Once I am titled and insured I will of course drive the car to a locksmith , but I am afraid the lock is of South African origin and will be foreign to him.

I sent an email to Hillbank but have received no response as yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need that glove box for my Desert Eagle (just kidding - I only carry a .44 magnum).

Thank you all.

PS. I finally started the car today - idle good, the fans came on, all gauges seem to be working fine... Still snow, salt and low temps, so it won't leave the garage any time soon.
    Last edited by Bud74; 02-27-2021 at 02:47 PM.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Well Bud congratulations on starting it up and getting to listen to the beast run. They are awesome.

Sorry, I'm not help on the key except to do what you are already planning, going to a locksmith.

On my 99 I had one key that fit the hood, trunk and ignition. Did not have a locking gas cap or glove box. I much preferred the one key fits all. You might want to consider that when the locksmith works on your car.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Is there any number stamped on the lock face? That would help ID the lock. I think Hillbank would be able to help you get a key without getting a locksmith involved. Do you know if the car was originally bought through Hillbank? If not and you can find out who the original dealers was that sold the car they should be able to help as well. I have found that if no email response is forth coming, a call usually get a response at least.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Sorry I can’t help. My #747 (built March 2000) is an S/C model and thus has no glove box. I never lock my hood but the key does lock the trunk. It came with a locking gas cap, which I ultimately ditched because it was a PITA to lock inside the Lemans cap and it wasn’t like it was prone for vandalism or whatever at shows or inside my garage. If you want the part number for a non-locking cap just PM me.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    I take it the glove box is locked which is why the latch can’t be removed? You may need to just drive it to a good locksmith and let him pick the lock. It’s probably pretty simple to pick.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    I take it the glove box is locked which is why the latch can’t be removed? You may need to just drive it to a good locksmith and let him pick the lock. It’s probably pretty simple to pick.
    Yes - that is what I intend to do - when the weather turns better. BTW - the lock is stamped '111'.

I think the "111" is your key/lock code. My SPF glovebox is stamped "097" on the outer lock face and the face of the key is also stamped "097". The key has a black plastic molding on the head and the words "First Lock" inscribed, which I take to be a brand name?

Senior Member Funding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud74 View Post
    Yes - that is what I intend to do - when the weather turns better. BTW - the lock is stamped '111'.
    That's the number I was asking about. With it you should be able to get a key from Hillbanks or another dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucks1 View Post
    I think the "111" is your key/lock code. My SPF glovebox is stamped "097" on the outer lock face and the face of the key is also stamped "097". The key has a black plastic molding on the head and the words "First Lock" inscribed, which I take to be a brand name?
    Yeah, thanks for that. I guess I was hoping somebody would have a lock stamped '111' so they could duplicate their key. But what are the odds? I have got emails into Hillbank and Randall at CobraValley.@performanceunliited.com. And I always have the option of going to a local locksmith, so, I will get the problem solved one way or another. That is good info you gave me that the lock and the key are similarly stamped, and the 'First Lock' ID. Thanks all for all your replies.

Actually Bud the odds were pretty good of finding someone with the same key/lock.

If I remember correctly a lot of the British cars used the same key/lock mechanisms.

It was in the last 70's if I remember correctly and I was in the LA area with a friend for Mini Meet West. Someone had a key issue and was going around asking people to try their keys on his Mini. As it ended up he found 3 or 4 other keys that would work on his Mini. And in the end my buddy George could unlock and start every Mini that was there, and there were over 60 of them. His was an old key and worn but it would work everywhere.

If you put an incorrect key and turn the lock, the whole lock may spin and unlock the box. Theyre not all that secure.

Then bring the lock unit to a locksmith ��

Iím looking into a solution...
    Blas

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blas View Post
    I’m looking into a solution...
    Blas
    This would be my initial step...$16.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    This would be my initial step...$16.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Very cool - but I fear that could end up getting me in a lot of trouble!

Just sent you a pic of my SPF glove box key. You might also want to take a peek at this site. The locks and keys look suspiciously similar to my glove box.
    https://www.firstlock.co.za/

All glove box and gas cap locks are unique and the only way to open the glove box lock is to put a screw driver into the key hole and slowly turn it anti clock wise.
    Blas

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Hmmm - not sure I would want to leave my 44 Magnum in there in that case.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    Hmmm - not sure I would want to leave my 44 Magnum in there in that case.
    Just kidding about the .44 Magnum - I just sometimes carry a little pea shooter .480. But actually I believe that the odds of using a gun successfully in a defense situation are quite low.

WRT the key situation, I have gone down a few blind alleys, but am now in contact with the Pretoria, So. Africa lock company that supplied the lock to at least some Superformance cars - thanks so much to Chucks1!

Quote Originally Posted by Bud74 View Post
    WRT the key situation, I have gone down a few blind alleys, but am now in contact with the Pretoria, So. Africa lock company ...!
    Wow, Pretoria. "Q" and my home town. Please do share the name and contact details in this thread, as it may also help other SPF owners in future.

Edit: I've had my Superformance for 9 months now, and I've only taken it out once. For various reasons, but C-19 more specifically. I did get a spare set of keys with the car, but besides the ignition key, I haven't even checked which other keys do what...

Time I retire........
    Last edited by GianM; 03-04-2021 at 01:55 AM.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Retire?

Hell, I thought you were still a young pup Gian.