Thread: Texas Mans $16K Light Bill

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar

Texas Mans $16K Light Bill

Leave it to the utility companies to screw their customers any time a disaster happens. This sounds as if PG&E was running it.

https://news.yahoo.com/lights-stayed...160028286.html

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    When signing up for my last electricity contract, there were "variable indexed" plans, but that shouldn't even be legal. When you drive by a gas station, they have a variable price, but once you start pumping, it's locked. Same thing with beer at the grocery store. But who could possibly check the rate every time they hit the start on the electric dryer, or the thermostat kicks in? That's just stupid.

They talk about how electricity was deregulated. The phuckery on the retail pricing side was deregulated, but the generation and distribution is under a quasi government board that was really just a political payback system, and they shit the bed.

According to this https://tnm.me/news/political/the-di...cid=68fc781985 Another contributing cause to the failures was the fed gov.

Well I wish that AOC and her group of idiots had to live in that and do without electricity and heat. Asking the Federal Govt.for anything is worthless as first they have to have a dozen meetings to determine who and how much they can get from anything they do.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I have read that some people have gotten bills for up to $20K.

ENRON Redux

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Quick - cancel that utility direct draft authority off of your bank account.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    Quick - cancel that utility direct draft authority off of your bank account.
    Yes. Cancelling your auto pay was recommended a few days ago.

Auto Pay is one thing that I will not use. I want to see the bills and know when they raise the rates and I don't want any company having access to my accounts. We had one here that told me they would only accept auto pay and I told them then they could just go without collecting from me. They relented and I pay them manually. This way I can keep track of exactly how much they are raising my rates and if it starts to get excessive like the TV or something I will change providers.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Unfortunately it’s almost a necessity in Ark unless you want to pay on-line which I just find too tedious - but that’s just me. Our mail delivery is just too uncertain for paying by mail.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama

Dan,

Our mail is so bad here that I don't do anything by mail. I call them and talk to the billing department on some and others I do pay online as I have everything set up so it only takes a couple of minutes.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    When I was young and stupid I was talked into signing up for Auto Pay. Well one month they took out three payments. I remember it took months to get my money back.

Everything now is set up to pay online.

Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    There is absolutely NO WAY I let anyone for anything auto draft my checking account. You have no leverage.

They can charge my credit card, then I have leverage over the credit card co.

Here's how I look at it. If a company dinks my checking account, I'm left saying can you please give me my money back. If they dink my credit card, I tell the credit card co, F you. go get your money back from them; I anit paying it.

It's been a long time since I've been in the situation, but if the money stops, I need control over who get's paid and what payables get "aged".