Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Cobra 427 side oiler road racing in Scotland

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar

AC Cobra 427 side oiler road racing in Scotland

It is nice that there wasn't a lot of traffic on that road and he really didn't seem to be pushing it real hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2foGMKlBaE

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    I’d say the driver was having fun!
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I remember those days.

Plus he had a nice road to drive on. No truck sized pot holes like we have here.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

boring noise if that' s for a day trip ... ?

Sorry WaffleHead, that is music to the ears of a true gear head that grew up listening to big V8's.

I would say he drove conservatively hard, considering the narrow roads. Also, the engine doesn't appear too powerful. Sort of like the FE I am building.

I wondered if the white arrows pointed on the road were to warn of upcoming turns in the road, or as warnings for driveways or intersecting roads? Some turns seemed to have them, others not. Coming the opposite way, not all the turns were marked..kind of weird.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Sorry WaffleHead, that is music to the ears of a true gear head that grew up listening to big V8's.
    I agree, really sweet to hear a V8 running hard. You'll appreciate this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlE...re=emb_rel_end
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

sweet music yes.... for a few minutes....trough the gears.... but for a day trip ??

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I wondered if the white arrows pointed on the road were to warn of upcoming turns in the road, or as warnings for driveways or intersecting roads? Some turns seemed to have them, others not. Coming the opposite way, not all the turns were marked..kind of weird.
    those show you are entering a lane on which you may no more pass a car in front of you.
    You see the stripes ( passing allowed) , the arrows , and then the full white line.

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I agree, really sweet to hear a V8 running hard. You'll appreciate this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlE...re=emb_rel_end
    Personally I would not feel safe out there in a Lotus Super 7 with all those larger cars.

Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post
    sweet music yes.... for a few minutes....trough the gears.... but for a day trip ??
    Norbert, I took mine for a month long trip and it was the best vacation I have ever had.

My senior bride always used ear plugs. I hate those damn things and I now wear hearing aids, but it was well worth it.

The thing to remember is that our car culture is totally different than yours. We grew up with big loud V8 engines, be it in drag racing cars or road racing cars.

Barry,

On any long trip I wear ear plugs but most of the time I don't wear them as I don't go on any longer trips any more. Lots of fun to see a car or truck that I am coming up behind look in the mirror and suddenly pull to the side to let me by.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Sounds like mine... Music to my ears. Come on Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Personally I would not feel safe out there in a Lotus Super 7 with all those larger cars.
    but nice to see what a 200hp 4 banger can do against those BB's.....of course weight.

No argument there Norbert.

Can someone please explain for the benefit of the unwashed (me) the designations 'Side-oiler' and 'FIA'? I've checked the Internet but not found what I want. Just briefly, please. Thanks.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Somebody with more engine knowledge than me can chime in with more details, but the side oiler refers to the oil passage design of one of the Ford 427 ci engines. The FIA is the Federation Intentional Automobile association that basically governs the rules for the various classes of race cars for international competition such as F1 and which I believe is headquartered in France.

Bud,

The 427 side oilier versus the overhead oilier is like this. The original engines had overhead oiling which meant the oil came to the top of the engine and then worked itself down to the crankshaft and bearings. That didn't work out to well in racing as the turns and all the high RPM sort of starved the crank from oil with the expected results. So they put a channel on the outside of the block near the bottom and fed the oil through that right onto the crank which proved to be a great improvement. You can easily tell a side oilier from an overhead one by just looking for that channel molded onto the outside of the block along the bottom.

Ron

MY ALBUMS