Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I did for the holidays

Senior Member Funding Member

What I did for the holidays

Hi Everybody,
    First of all I am moving forward and not looking for anything, just sharing information in case any you have something like this happen.
    December 15th, 2020 Wife comes home says co-worker tested positive for Covid 19
    December 18th, 2020 Wife gets symptoms and in retrospect has a mild case of Covid 19
    December 20, 2020 I get what feels like a pretty bad cold but think I will be fine like all the other times I have had a bad cold, wife beat it why not me.
    December 25, 2020 I can barely breathe, feels like knives in my chest, tell wife better drive me to the hospital
    December 25, The hospital admits me and takes my information and xrays me, Dr. says you have a full blown case of covid and you have covid pneumonia.
    December 25, He goes on, you are over weight, you are 80 years old and your lungs are full of fluid. Better get your affairs in order.
    December 26, Dr. calls wife says I will not see Sunday morning, you need support, call your family.
    December 26, Dr. says they can put me in a room in the hospital where wife can see me before I die.
    December 26, 2020 I say dammit doctor I want to go home in an ambulance and die with wife and dogs. Dr says you are on 60 liters of oxygen a minute the
    ambulance could not supply that flow more than a few blocks you will be dead before you get there.
    December 26, 2020 Hospital staff says how do you feel about ventilator and life support I say do not put me on a machine let me go.
    December 27, 2020 I am in ICU lying on what feels like a board in a broom closet but still alive. I then start calling friends asking for favors
    selling all my crap to help Marci (my wife) financially. I start texting her all the pass words and account locations so she is ready.
    I tell her cremation, no funeral but celebration of life with lots of booze. I am ready to go!
    Scott calls and says WTF is the matter with you, fight this, he and Marci talk then she calls and says the same, my Son also calls and says try!
    Those three people convinced me to fight all the physical issues along with lots of prayer. So I thought well , what can I do. Doctor comes in I
    say "What are my chances?" He says maybe 50/50 I think Ok go for it.
    December 28, 2020 I finally get out of ICU and into a room, I am a real curiosity being 80 and still alive so doctors are kind of interested.
    December 30, 2020 I see original doctor and say how about 60/40 he says yeah I would go with that, we made a joke of it for the next 3 weeks.
    January 5, 2021 I am going crazy locked in a room seeing people only when they are giving me shots, food or checking vitals which is all the time.
    January 6, 2021 I ask Dr how will they ever release me he says you are using way too mush oxygen to go anywhere you need a tanker truck for that much
    oxygen a minute now at 40 liters a minute and 75% oxygen. I get my phone and down load the manual for the machine.
    I then start reducing the % of oxygen and volume while watching blood Oxygen so that it stays in the 90% range.
    January 7, 2021 Dr, comes in and is delighted to see me in the 90% range with machine down around 30 liters a minute with lower % oxygen.
    January 9, 2021 They figure out that I am screwing with machine and go bananas, I get my ass chewed and promise to stop.
    January 10, 2021 I say ok, what do I have to do to be released, they say be able to walk 6 minutes on 3 liters of oxygen per minute and keep blood over 88%.
    January 11, 2021 I think that will be easy, and do a trial run, at 3 liters per minute, I am down to 75% at only 3 minutes and ready to fall down, under 80% is
    heart attack/stroke territory.
    January 11, 2021 I am begging them to let them go home, they say too dangerous, I say what if I insist DR says you could do that but then insurance might
    not cover you because you refused treatment. I am in debtors prison!
    January 11, 2021 through January 13th 2021 I am using the hell out of lung exercise machine (it measures how much air you can displace with lungs) I am
    doing practice walks 3-4 times a day to build endurance but I have none.
    January 13, 2021 I sort of pass the walk test and they say ok, Cambern you can go home but have to have oxygen in car at 3 liters per and home oxygen at
    3 liters per minute. We go home at 5:30 pm and all is good except when I walk from drive way to house I have to stop in kitchen because
    oxygen level fell to 81%. I have no endurance now but see a very slight improvement everyday. For example I can be off oxygen
    completely if seated for hours at a time. Yesterday I walked from bedroom to kitchen without oxygen and only fell to 83%
    This fight is not over because all the leftovers are still keeping lungs from functioning until resorbed by my body. I think my chances are
    pretty good though probably 70/30 that I will beat it. My wife redid the whole house so I can stay down stairs and she has been a real
    angel taking care of me and fixing meals etc. It is great to be home I am hoping I can start work on Cobra valve springs in a month or two.
    We will have to see though, not being able to breathe is pretty scary! During the darkest days one of my friends got an offer from a
    museum of $4,000,000 for Cobra and all the original stuff that goes with it. We think they were serious too, wife said No do not sell so it
    ended there. I have so much to do and look forward to I hope I am here for awhile.

Sorry this was so long but maybe it will help some one else deal with the CHINA VIRUS.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Bruce,

Thanks for the information and that should help a lot of people if they get that virus. I am sorry that it messed up your holiday season but very happy that you are improving and will have you in my prayers along with so many others. Scott was right, never give up. Just don't get in a rush and push to hard to soon. I know a couple of people here who had it bad and one is still in the hospital and has been there for over a month. And some others that I have talked to who had it and recovered tell me they still have lingering weakness and shortness of breath and it has been several months since they recovered, but in most of them it is slowly improving. Take care and we are all wishing you the best.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron77; 01-15-2021 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Wow Bruce, your story lays out exactly my greatest fears of getting the Wuhan Red Death - diminished lung function. Man, that sounds like a tough go and still some ways to get back. Love the part about downloading the instructions for the oxygen equipment and playing with it yourself - a little rebellion now and then is good for the soul and morale. Keep after it and I hope you are successful and get back 100%, and yeah, don’t sell the Cobra yet.
    Last edited by DanEC; 01-15-2021 at 06:19 AM.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Bruce, I’m very impressed with your resolve to not only fight this but to also share the timeline with us. I pray for your full recovery and a Springtime that gets you back to what you do so well.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    Hi Bruce,

That is quite an ordeal to go through and I'm glad you're recovering, albeit slowly. I hope you continue to improve and look forward to reading about the improvement those new valve springs make!

Best wishes,

Kevin

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Damn Bruce, as I was reading that I kept waiting for the bunch line at the end and there wasn't one.

Way to go on not giving up. That positive attitude is a big factor in recovery and I'm sure that helped you out.

Take care and get well. Remember, racing season is not that far away.

Senior Member Funding Member Morris's Avatar
    Bruce ....There are many blessings in your timeline......Us old Racers have a lot of knowledge we have to share before we go to the big race track in the sky......I’ll light a candle for you & May your health improve on a daily basis.....God Bless

Bruce, keep up the fight. All the best to you and your family.

I have been in contact with Bruce via email and he is doing better. He said that he can now sit up and move slowly for a short distance but he has to really watch his oxygen levels and tires very easily but that is a lot of progress from a short time ago. He said to tell all of you hi and thanks for all of the good wishes. This is going to be a long and hard recovery for him and I will keep in contact and let everyone know how he is doing until he feels up to posting a more detailed description of his progress.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Thanks Ron for the update.

And just keep getting better Bruce.

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    Bruce,

What a horror story. It reads like the diary for steps to Hell. I am so glad you made the recovery you have. So many have not made it. Good to hear you are home.

Jim
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Here is the email that I received from Bruce this morning and he has to learn to not push things to fast.

Hi Ron,
    I really appreciate your help in communicating with everyone.
    It is so much easier using my phone than sitting at my computer and getting on the site
    then typing messages. I am struggling a bit with this terrible disease. Yesterday I was up for about 4 hours without oxygen talking with my wife and relaxing in the den of our house. My wife had to run some errands so I said go ahead I am fine for an hour or so. About the time she goes out the driveway I need to go to the bathroom. I am in an easy chair and walker is out of reach, I think hell I can do this so I promptly fall on the floor getting out of the chair. You really have to be careful to watch oxygen levels with covid because there is no reserve. Well I get to my feet and grab the walker and go back where main oxygen supply is. My life's blood these days and plug in. My level is way into the danger zone so I just stay there waiting to get over 90% blood oxygen. After that I was coughing the rest of Saturday.
    This morning I felt normal again so I guess that little escapade cost me one day of recovery.
    Ironically my Wife had put the portable oxygen in the den in case I needed it. Dumb dumb here needs to figure out that
    taking risks is not smart this close to you know what.
    I am going to start physical therapy next week hopefully that will help build my lungs up. There is a very slight improvement on normal days so I think things are better but boy is this slow. Thanks again for helping and all the prayers and nice thoughts I really appreciate it. All my best to you and everybody in our little group.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Just take it easy Bruce and get well.

Thoughts and prayers are still being sent your way.

I know it's hard, but just take it easy and don't rush it. You'll get there.

I just received an email from Bruce and he is beginning to show more improvement but it is slow and he wants it to go faster. But at least now he can move around a little without having to use his oxygen. He said his oxygen level still drops very fast so he can't do a lot of moving but he sounds as if he is really starting to gain.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Hang in there Bruce. You will win this.

Yes. Glad to hear about your improvement.

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    Bruce,

It will take a while but you will learn some short cuts to keep you safe. Try a portapotty for that sort of situation. It could save a lot of grief.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Great update, Ron. Bruce is in it to win it.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Wow, what a sobering story. Keep up the improvement. I received my first vaccine shot last Friday and have tried unsuccessfully to get one for my wife, so we don't have to go through your ordeal. Praying for your recovery, Bruce.