Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Cobras at Mecum Kissimmee

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar

Real Cobras at Mecum Kissimmee

Earlier today I saw four original Shelby Cobras at the Mecum Kissimmee auction. My cell phone camera photos won't do any of these cars any justice, so here are the links and a brief commentary on what I saw.

CSX2498

A very clean early 289 roadster. No ropes around it (!)...pretty much walked right up to it. They at least gave it a prominent place in the main viewing haul a few steps away from Carroll's car.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-44...obra-roadster/

CSX3318

A clean street roadster. Again, no ropes...just waltzed around it like it was an ordinary Factory Five or something. It was right beside CSX2498 so one could take 3-4 steps between each and that was it.

CSX3042 - 1 of 29 S/C cars

Damn it! This was not considered part of the regular televised auction but in what they call a "gallery exposition" sale. In other words, the only way you could get close to it was if you were a registered bidder (along with 7-8 other exclusive cars). I took pics from about 40 feet away. This is arguably the most detailed and completed S/C in existence. Armed with Bezos cash, this would have been the one I would have taken home.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0121-45...obra-roadster/

CSX3178 - Carroll Shelby's personal 427

Well, Carroll's was up on pedestals and surrounded by a thin rope. So even last year's McQueen Bullitt Mustang got better security treatment behind a glass cage. The finish on this car is spectacular. The wheels even look brand new. The whole real deal. Never been a street roadster fan, but this is surely the one to own. I figure if the Super Snake got $5M at BJ some years back, this one has to get at least that. Might we see the first $10M Cobra?

Other observations (for those that care):
    There was an aluminum CSX continuation car (CSX4564). I honestly thought it was a Kirkham and chose not to even get close to it. LOL Must have been the original '69 ZL-1 Camaro parked across from it...THAT one got my attention.

Also, the crowd mid-week was really, really light. I spoke to several vendors and they said so far the crowd is way down from last year. We were even able to park practically at the front gate (the usual spot off-site wasn't even being used). We got there around 8:15am (gates opened at 8am) and when we left around 3:45pm there was still plenty of available parking. Never had to wait in line for any food or to use the restrooms. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Masks mandatory. LOTS of nice, super clean cars available and every marque covered multi-fold (eg., I saw at least 10-12 '63 Split Window Corvette Coupes). Probably saw 4-5 '69 Mustang Boss 429s. Two Plymouth Hemi Superbirds. At least three '18-'19 Ford GTs. Honestly about 1/2 dozen 2020 new Stingrays. And Shelby Mustangs (from '67-20) of every year and color. I also fell in love with a dark metallic green '69 Stingray L-88 convertible (w/removable hard top). A must event for the true car collector or enthusiast.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Dean, thanks for the write up and links to the cars.

I have a question that maybe you can answer.

I always thought that Superformance did a great job of replicating the original Cobra. However as you have mentioned, and modified on your car is the stainless steel louvers in the front fenders. Ever since you brought to my attention I have always looked at the original cars and sure enough, they are painted the same as the car. I wonder why Superformance did not do this?

Have you ever heard anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Dean, thanks for the write up and links to the cars.

I have a question that maybe you can answer.

I always thought that Superformance did a great job of replicating the original Cobra. However as you have mentioned, and modified on your car is the stainless steel louvers in the front fenders. Ever since you brought to my attention I have always looked at the original cars and sure enough, they are painted the same as the car. I wonder why Superformance did not do this?

Have you ever heard anything about this?
    John, my educated guess is because the louvers are a royal PITA to paint correctly. It took a few tries for me to get the right technique, fan pattern and gun pressure to do them well without drips, runs, or dry spray. I suppose it's just easier to TIG weld pieces of polished stainless steel in a jig and call it a day. In fact, all Cobra replicas (EVEN THE CSX CONTINUATION CARS) do not have painted louvers.
    -Dean

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Dean, I was just going to thank you for the write up and links,

but Silverback already has.

So I won't.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Dean, I was just going to thank you for the write up and links,

but Silverback already has.

So I won't.
    Not that it mattered, but three midget women approached me and asked if I knew you? I denied any knowing or involvement and they walked away cussing up a storm...something about no payments and being promised satisfaction but ending up sorely disappointed.

They then all piled into an Isetta and drove off.
    -Dean

Senior Member Funding Member
    Dean, I had a similar experience, but they were bitching about no satisfaction and to top it off getting paid with a bunch of nasty pens.

Was it by chance any of these ladies???

Senior Member Funding Member
    Yes. I believe they are the ones. The boots look familiar. They said Nomad likes boots. Rough rider I guess.

I’ll post a few pics later (of the show, not the midgets).
    -Dean

-Dean

CSX2498 to the left. CSX3318 to center. CSX3178 on pedestals to the right. Also from this angle you can see two '2018-19 Ford GTs and one '06 GT. The dark green '69 Camaro against the back wall is a real ZL-1 car (one of 69 built).

https://talkcobra.com/attachment.php...2&d=1610631784

-Dean

-Dean

-Dean

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Great pictures Dean. Thanks for posting them and you can buy me any one of those cars, your choice.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

I agree with Ron. Thanks for sharing the pictures Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Reynolds View Post
    Yes. I believe they are the ones. The boots look familiar. They said Nomad likes boots. Rough rider I guess.
    Nomad actually prefers when they wear spurs.

One more. This was the aluminum CSX4000 series car that I had mentioned previously (which I initially thought was a Kirkham). The seller probably picked the right venue, as the other real Cobras will be million dollar + cars and having this aluminum one there with CSX numbering might pull a larger number than elsewhere.

https://talkcobra.com/attachment.php...8&d=1610633498

-Dean

smart owners trying to sell those cars.....

Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post
    smart owners trying to sell those cars.....
    I would agree. Bank a million (two for the S/C and God knows what for Carroll’s). Then convert any Kirkham into a genuine clone for $250K and pay 1/4 the insurance and never be afraid to drive it anywhere.
    -Dean

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    The Carrol Shelby Cobra is the one from Legendary. Nice to see street cars getting some attention.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is divided into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--- things up."

Barack Obama