Thread: Ceramic coating on paint protection film ?

Ceramic coating on paint protection film ?

Has anyone had this done, what brand, are you happy with the results and how much ?
    I know Undy used it on his new Vette.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    I had both my Cobra and the Coupe ceramic coated about three years ago and I have been very happy with it. It is very easy to wipe bugs off and it will protect the paint from very small rock picks. Also makes them easy to clean.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by 427HISS View Post
    Has anyone had this done, what brand, are you happy with the results and how much ?
    I know Undy used it on his new Vette.
    The ceramic coat goes on the paint, not on any protection film. If the film already exist then simply wax over it. The Ceramic coating on film, PPG or otherwise, will provide zero benefit.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Undy,

Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't have any protective coating on my cars and failed to mention that.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    I used Avalon King Armor Shield on both our daily drivers and am happy with it. One of the vehicles has the front end covered with Xpel and I inquired to Avalon King about it and they said absolutely ceramic coat it. They even said to coat the windshield, plastic and vinyl. I did, but didn't see much affect on the windshield. On one of our vehicles, the black vinyl trim was oxidized and I had put Aerospace 303 protectant on it (similar to Armour All). It would turn it black but it would start to oxidize after a couple of months and needed repeating. So, I ceramic coated the vinyl and it turned it black. It's been a little over a year and water still beads like the day I put it on, even on the Xpel film, and the vinyl is still jet black. One of these days, I'm going to do the cobra. As for cost, I don't recall what I paid but during my research I looked at several YouTube videos and there were coupon codes for a discount, so I didn't pay the full price. Also, I put two coats on. It is my understanding that it can't be stored for more than a few weeks after opening, so be aware of that.

I just did a quick Google search and the advice is overwhelmingly in favor of coating PPT, but a couple entries indicated to check that the specific PPT you're using is "ceramic coating friendly", so apparently there are different answers for different products.

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevins; 01-06-2021 at 06:33 AM.