Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member Wbhughes

A couple of teaser shots the factory sent to me this week - the wait is killing me but from what I'm seeing, it will be well worth it. Between VMS and BDR South Africa, I am extremely happy with how easy they have been to work with, including incorporating all of the changes I keep sending them. 20210112_131609_resized_2.jpg20210118_112259_resized.jpg20210119_095305_resized.jpg

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    That is looking good and I can understand your getting anxious to get it.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Brian, I'm confused by the pictures in different posts as they don't appear to be the same car.

What am I missing?

Senior Member Funding Member
    Looking good. What is the estimated delivery?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Brian, I'm confused by the pictures in different posts as they don't appear to be the same car.

What am I missing?
    When I saw the picture from the paint booth it was "That's not the right color!!". I reached out to BDR and, at the end of the day, it is the correct color. Perhaps it was the lighting or 1 of the first coats over the grey primer but if you look at the masking paper at the rear of the cockpit, you can see the deep green color which is correct. Yes, I was VERY concerned but it's all good (and correct)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    That is looking good and I can understand your getting anxious to get it.

Ron
    Thanks Ron!

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar

What am I missing?
    Your spectacles.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Well Nomad I would rather be missing my spectacles than be like you and missing my testicles.
    Last edited by Silverback; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar

Angry

Well Nomad I would rather be missing my spectacles than be like you and missing my testicles.
    That comment is very rude.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Thank you Nomad. I had a great teacher.

Brian - as one new member awaiting delivery to another - welcome! But don't do what I just did - I was scouring the Internet for info on the handling characteristics of these cars (I assume oversteer is the predominant response when taking a corner a little too hot). Anyway, I ended up looking at a lot of photos and videos of Cobras buying the farm! But it's giving me a healthy respect for the car. I even read one story of a snap oversteer and spin situation at only 30 mph! I should get mine delivered in the Wisconsin snow, so I will have a while before I get it on the road. In the meantime, I am going to put it on jacks and find out what's underneath.

BTW, guys - how can I put up an avatar photo - maybe even something as sublime and alluring as Silverback's?

Well Bud it is hard to beat my selfie with my smiling face but I'm sure you will come up with something appropriate.

Hopefully Ron will come along and help you on how to do it. I'm just an ape with typing skills and I don't remember how I did it.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Bud,

One mistake so many new people make is first not getting thoroughly acquainted with the Cobra before trying to push it. I always spend a week or so in a deserted parking lot trying different this and then I take a high performance driving school at out road track. Another thing is when you are getting more familiar with the car and are taking corners at speed, when you come out of the apex be sure the car is pointing straight before you just mash the throttle to the floor. I did it differently than most as I would slow for the corner and start to pick up speed just as I was entering the apex and when I came out where it was straight I was already up to more speed than most of the others. But mainly just learn the cars limits and especially your own limits.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud74 View Post

BTW, guys - how can I put up an avatar photo
    Bud, up at the top of the screen, just to the left of "Log Out", click on settings. Scroll down and you'll see you can select "edit avatar". Follow the instructions to upload a photo. Feel free to call me if you have any problems. And, thanks to Ron for teaching me this much easier way to do it than I was using previously.

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevins; Today at 05:44 AM.

For all new owners I cannot over emphasize how important tires are.

When I bought mine it had Goodyear GTII tires on it and in my opinion they are dangerous. There was absolutely no warning as you were approaching the limits with those rags. One second all is well and the next it is spinning.

I then put on the Goodyear Bill Board tires and they were great. Sticky and were very linear as you approached the limits. However they are not DOT approved so that is a concern to some. The third set of tires were the Avon's. Damn near as good as the Bill Boards, but were DOT approved. Both the Bill Boards and the Avon's are expensive but well worth the price in my opinion.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    That comment is very rude.
    Said with a high-pitched voice...
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Thanks, Ron - solid advice. Although I raced vintage for several years at Road America and surrounding tracks, it was not in a car remotely as powerful as the Cobra. I have nothing tot prove by driving my Cobra beyond my ability.