Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Jeep experts here?

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar

Any Jeep experts here?

Im in the hunt for what were going to call our Beach Jeep. Its probably going to be 20 years old and maybe have 150k or more on the odometer. An old 2-door Wrangler seems to be in my price range of $5-7K. What should I be looking for with respect to the usual suspects (rust, any known mechanical or electrical gremlins, etc.)? Would love a CJ but they are all way too expensive now.

We just want something to take to the beach and back. We have drive-on beaches here and do not want to subject our other cars to the sand and salt. Im actually hoping to find something that is structurally and mechanically sound but with a lot of visual warts that can cosmetically be dealt with. Will have one of those removable soft tops, too. I also plan to use it for shore fishing days, too.

Appreciate any advice from others, thanks!
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

FYI, the sand on our drive-on beaches is super fine like talcum powder. It gets into everything. Even when we take the other cars for drives along the coastline, we usually get home and there is this super fine dusting all over the car that is easily hosed off or vacuumed. We just want something that we will never worry about...if it all turns to rust someday then so be it.
    -Dean

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    Not claiming expertcy here, but that puts you close to the era of the wrongler.

While the 4.0 inline six is a great long block, the smog and efi stuff may be a nightmare. What are Florida's emissions laws with age? You may want to look a few years older so you can ditch the problematic stuff and still get an inspection if required in FL. I bet a manual is a premium, but one I would certainly want.

Another thing to consider, find one online away from the gulf cancer, rust.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Take the plunge Dean. You will love it.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler/rubico...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

470 HP is pretty useless off road unless you have 16-18" of suspension travel and are racing across the Baja.

But would be fun on the street.

It's fine in the dunes and depending on the conditions it would be nice in the mud.

Rock crawling? Not so much.

No smog or vehicle inspections in FL :-). They used to have vehicle inspections here when I was a teenager, but no longer. Yes, ideally would be great to find a non-Florida car to procure, but the cost of shipping and inability to do a personal inspection may negate any savings.
    -Dean

Are there any years to completely avoid?
    -Dean

For what you are planning Dean any year would work and I have owned a few over the years. My first one was a 1970 that I bought in 1973 if I remember correctly.

In fact the older the better as it will be simpler to work on as they are pretty basic.

When I was looking for a Jeep Cherokee for my son several years ago I was surprised to find that a "low mileage" vehicle was one with 120-130K miles. So I was shocked when my wife saw one advertised by a local dealer with 35K miles. I told her it was a misprint that it was 135K. I called the dealer anyway and it was 35K. The car had been in storage for 3 years as the owner had been sent the England and the company paid to store it and re commission it when he returned to the US. We drove right over to the dealership and bought it. He used it through college and his first several years in the Navy. He's been a Jeep fan ever since and owns one now. 2016 model I think.

If you could find one of the wronglers with the square headlights, I think they were the first with EFI. First sign of trouble, get an intake and carb, and a bypass low pressure fuel pressure regulator. New exhaust of your liking, or at least gut the cat. Tehy stopped up rendering you with a 35HP wrongler that was not able to exceed 25 MPH.

I agree with John. Either brand new or old as possible. I had one of the first JK's. It was a good ride, but I wouldn't want to work on it. By now the 09's will be pushing 150K. My understanding is the early ones had a 3.8L that was a bored and or stroked pushrod 3.3L. It would give you tennis elbow above 2800 RPM due to the inherent V6 vibration. I don't think it had a balance shaft. The early Chrysler K car's than used it relied on oatmeal soft motor mounts to tame it. With a stick, there's no isolation.

The newer ones I think have the pentastar engine, and I think John can chime in on those.

You can't go wrong with a 4l inline 6. GREAT engine, and very readily available for cheap in the junk yard as no one needs one because they don't break.

For a throw around I would look for the late 80's wrongler with the square headlights, and if anything gives you trouble, take it off and throw it away. This is a beach jeep, remember.

Senior Member Funding Member Carlewms's Avatar
    Good these ... one of these days I want to get one here. The local beaches do allow access.
    From the Olde Goat Garage

Building an FFR Mk 4 Roadster
    347 Stroker with EFI, SA T5, IRS
    Kit Arrived: 10/25/2012
    Build Started: 4/8/2013
    Rolling Chassis and Engine/Transmission Installation: 8/23/2015
    Go Kart: 3/26/2016

Another deadline not met ... so it will just get done sometime soon

Click this link to see my albums (https://www.talkcobra.com/album.php?u=1201)

I have a 1972 Bronco that needs a restoration...

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

Seriously, if know anyone interested in an early Bronco, it is for sale.

What I have found locally (200 mile radius) are ‘95-02 Wranglers with 90-130K miles, 4x4, 4 cylinder, soft tops and A/C in the $7,000-9,000 range. I don’t want a hardtop. Anything below $7K tends to move the “rough” needle to the left. I’m in awe how much people are getting for these. Seeing some better priced options beyond a 400-500 mile radius, but unless I find a diamond I’m not traveling that far. Here’s what appears to be a nicer one...talking to owner later today.

https://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/d/s...233675885.html
    -Dean

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    That looks like a nice one Dean. I hope it proves to be as good as it looks.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

At least in the pictures it looks nice Dean.

The only downside I see is that being a 2000 model you probably won't be working on it yourself.

Went back and looked at the pictures again and did not see a shifter for the transfer case. Is it a single speed full time system?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Went back and looked at the pictures again and did not see a shifter for the transfer case. Is it a single speed full time system?
    Going to see it in 90 minutes. Will let you know what I learn.
    -Dean

Silver, look at pic #18 and you can see the 4x4 lever to the left of the shifter. Starting around ‘97 or so it was more form fitting to the shift console and lays flat forward.
    -Dean