Thread: Oil breather open cell foam...

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar

Oil breather open cell foam...

I have a very old billet valve cover breather from Cobra Valley. Has worked great over the years but recently noticed oil starting to drip onto the cover. The internal oil resistant open cell foam (now black) was actually breaking down. A quick dunk into a jar of gasoline confirmed that and it all flushed out of the breather holes along the bottom (valve cover side) of the breather.

It’s a press fit together piece and I was able to get it apart cleanly by using safety wire and creating a sort of slide hammer effect to separate it. My question is if anyone thinks that using something like a filter that you see on lawn mowers and small 2-stroke power tools might work? I figured it should since they are designed to be pre-oiled before installing. I would just find one large enough, cut it to fit, and install dry.

Any other ideas or local sources (box stores) you can think of beyond Home Depot, Lowe’s, Tractor Supply, etc.?
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Can you post a picture?

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    A 2- cycle air filter foam element sounds like a reasonable source of replacement material to me.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is dived into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Okay, I honestly don’t think pics are necessary but there is a picture of my engine in one of my galleries. Here’s the Cobra Valley link so that others can see what I was taking apart and how much they cost (!):

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...breathers.html

Mine are brushed finish and the one that I fixed does not have a PCV valve or AN nipple on it (though I have one of those on the passenger side). Anyway, bought a Briggs and Stratton universal replacement lawn mower filter at Home Depot for all of $8. Tossed the fancy plastic housing and had a nice 1” thick piece to work with. Was able to almost cover the entire internal circumference except for maybe about 1/8 of one side. Cut out a wedge slightly larger and snugged it in (just enough compression to fill any gap). Then hollowed out the center to fit the center insert. Pressed it back together with a block of wood and a urethane mallet. Done!

I’d like to give props to my bride for allowing me to steal her sharp bread knife so that cutting the foam was super easy. That and a few makeshift small diameter pipes to punch out the center support area. She calls me “the Deanius” but I never let it go to my head. Never. {cough, cough}
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Senior Member Funding Member
    Glad you got it worked out. I think somebody once said that necessary is the mother of invention and in this case problem solving.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Dean,

I have used the lawn mower foam filters in several applications and one of them was in one of my cars filters as I just couldn't see paying the price they wanted for a replacement so I bought a large lawnmower one and cut it to size and it worked very well. After that I always bought replacements that were for lawn or garden equipment and just cut them to fit.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Ingenuity helps in the car maintenance department. I needed some type of grommet to finish off the junction of my ERAs street roadster fuel cap to the body (a BSA motorcycle fill cap actually). After standing in several aisles at Home Depot one day I spied a beveled rubber seal for between The toilet tank and the toilet bowl. Bought it and it worked perfectly.

Good job Dean.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is dived into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela