Thread: VW's IDR - A prototype that breaks almost every rule in every motorsport book

VW's IDR - A prototype that breaks almost every rule in every motorsport book

Here Chris Harris drives the stabbed-rat quick, all electric Volkswagen I.D. R. A prototype that breaks almost every rule in every motorsport book - but that doesnít matter. This creation isnít designed to go head-to-head with other cars. No, this car is designed to go head-to-head with physics and the clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aY3uhARp0A

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Wow! That is fast.......... it's instant speed! Thanks for sharing GianM

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    12 miles and a 3 hour pit stop.

I will pass.

Is that the same one who did best time on Pikes Peak and NŁrburgring?

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Yes. Amazing how fast you can go when you don't have to follow any rules.

Member Funding Member
    I was happy that a road legal pump gas fed 720S could be that close to a no holds bared all out race car. You can also buy a McLaren try buying that VW. Thanks for posting.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Maybe Indy and F1 are paying attention and realize that real racing (and innovation) is conducted when there are as few rules and limitations as possible. Run what ya brung.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Senior Member Funding Member Shootnride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    Maybe Indy and F1 are paying attention and realize that real racing (and innovation) is conducted when there are as few rules and limitations as possible. Run what ya brung.
    Amen ! You can put NASCAR in that group too.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    Let's see how it does on the Cannonball run.

Yea, that's what I thought.

Edit-

Consider it a purpose built car for Pikes Peak, yea, I get it. Electric for 12 miles, AWD, ungodly amounts of electronically modulated downforce by winglets.

But my first reaction is electric powered duochebaggery. So what if it has max torque at stall. You perfect a suitcase sized atomic reactor that can provide 750,000 watts continuously for 3 days, then electric power is viable. Or even a 300 HP turbine turning a generator head that weighs less than 500 lbs. Until then, battery powered cars are not going to replace gas.
    Last edited by Luce_; 06-02-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Member Funding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce_ View Post
    Let's see how it does on the Cannonball run.

Yea, that's what I thought.

Edit-

Consider it a purpose built car for Pikes Peak, yea, I get it. Electric for 12 miles, AWD, ungodly amounts of electronically modulated downforce by winglets.

But my first reaction is electric powered duochebaggery. So what if it has max torque at stall. You perfect a suitcase sized atomic reactor that can provide 750,000 watts continuously for 3 days, then electric power is viable. Or even a 300 HP turbine turning a generator head that weighs less than 500 lbs. Until then, battery powered cars are not going to replace gas.
    I have to agree wholeheartedly on electrics but I really like unrestrained technology in racing. The active suspension systems we were working on in the 90's could have really advanced passenger cars well beyond where they are today. That technology was banned in F1 before it was well developed and there was no real incentive to for manufactures to pursue it. We had a Taurus with an active system that you could hit a full height curb with at 50 mph and not even feel it. There are high end cars with active suspensions now but F1 can develop things so quickly it is a shame that those talented people are not unleashed more. Look at the fuel efficiency of today's F1 cars over 50% now which was unheard of a few years ago. They had torque sensors on the rear drive shafts that could measure torque and power continuously and then precisely manage that torque before traction control was banned. Now they all have to use a common ECU that is subject to examination. The best brains on the planet are there waiting to be challenged, I wish they could be turned loose. I understand the argument for not taking the driver out of the equation but I don't want to take the technology out either.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Well stated, Bruce.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."