Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No spark...

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    My experience has been when you fix it by changing a part you can't find fault in, you likely have an intermittent electric problem, and those are the worst!

Ignition is also a bitch. High voltage stuff can do some strange inexplicable stuff. I had a 85 Ram Charger that would run like shit and often die in the rain. That's the worst time to have an try to diagnose a electrical problem. Ended up rain entering the engine bay between the hood and the cowl wetted the coil and coil wire and it sparked to ground.

Consider, mawmaw's 302 in her crow vic would run 100K miles on plug wires, cap and rotor with the stock TB EFI, TIFF ignition. It never saw above 3300 RPM. Our cars usually stay above 3500 RPM, and when they're not, the MDS box is striking 3-5 sparks per ignition event. AND it's a much hotter spark. So longevity of things like the center tower on the cap and the rotor is only 10K reliable miles. After that, there is a plasma deposited coating of brass adn graphite on the inside of the distributor and at any moment, sparks will start going other that where the rotor is trying to direct them. And this can be a humidity and temp dependent problem.

Unless your cap, rotor and wires are less than 5000 miles old, I would consider ditching. Plug wires not so much, but a new coil wire, yes. You can drop a cylinder or 2 and make it home no problem. If you drop coil wire, cap or rotor, you're waiting on a tow truck. MDS box is hard on coils too.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Well for the time being I’m keeping the spare magnetic pickup and coil in the trunk with my tool bag. Also trying to get approval from admins on the Holley/MSD forum so that I can post the conditions there, too. Personally, I think the mag pickup was just worn out and the ohm reading was either a false positive or it would still give correct reading but the part was just past its freshness date.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    Dean,

I also carry a spare coil around for my MSD system - easy roadside replacement. My magnetic pick-up failed sometime ago and I replaced it. I removed the distributor to do that. Did you? Just wondering if replacing the pick-up is a roadside repair.

Kevin

Kevin, with the right elongated Allen wrench it’s a reasonable roadside repair. Without it no way. I swapped mine without removing the distributor.
    -Dean

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    Well for the time being I’m keeping the spare magnetic pickup and coil in the trunk with my tool bag. Also trying to get approval from admins on the Holley/MSD forum so that I can post the conditions there, too. Personally, I think the mag pickup was just worn out and the ohm reading was either a false positive or it would still give correct reading but the part was just past its freshness date.
    WTF???? You have to have the admins approval to post something on their forum? Hell, if that was the case neither Nomad or I would have 10 posts between us.

And still crickets. That’s the thanks I get for registering over a three day holiday weekend. LOL
    -Dean

Okay, now I understand.

You are trying to sign up to be a member of the forum.

Feel free to use either Nomad or myself as a reference.

They don't want people discussing how shit their product is on their own website.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Silver,

There are some sites that do that and some that only require an admins approval to post links or pictures. When I first came to this site it was set up that way and that was the first thing that I took out as it would just be a lot of unnecessary work in my opinion and wasn't needed.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Well that's true Ron. Everyone here stays on topic and we don't have any wise asses. A few dumb asses, but no wise asses.

Hey hey hey!

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Well that's true Ron. Everyone here stays on topic and we don't have any wise asses. A few dumb asses, but no wise asses.
    I remember one Member on this Forum that went off Topic on April 11th 2002,

but happily he has quit and moved on.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

MSD Forum Update:

Finally received my secret decoder ring and was able to post there. Received one good response and for a condition that I did not check for...short to ground. I could have a good ohm reading on the magnetic pickup but still have a frayed or bad wire that was shorting the unit. Never looked for this.

I’m slowly gaining my electrical knowledge.
    -Dean

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Dean,

Two of the first things to look for in electrical wiring on a car or in a house are opens and shorts to ground. And sometimes they will be intermittent and hard to locate. I finally found one in one of my cars by hooking the meter up and watching it as I moved along the harness and mover the harness. When I got to the spot the short was in by lifting the harness just a bit the short would clear and when I let it back into its normal position the short would be back. I cut it open and found two wires that the insulation had broken on and one of them went to ground.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Can I help push next time, for steak and italian wine?
    My problem was much easier a month ago (first start): Firing order was cyl one off!

I was one off once and she was not very happy about it.
    Last edited by Silverback; 06-04-2020 at 05:42 AM.

I once overshot my stroke length and punched the wrong hole too. Met a little extra resistance.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce_ View Post
    I once overshot my stroke length and punched the wrong hole too. Met a little extra resistance.
    What a bummer.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Can I help push next time, for steak and italian wine?
    Well I ended up treating the helpers to BBQ ribs this time. And now keeping a spare magnetic pickup and coil in the tool bag.
    -Dean

Smart move Dean.

I always carried a small tool bag with basic tools and some spare parts. I also had the Griot's tire patch kit. Luckily I never had to use it.