Thread: Driving a 700HP Superformance Cobra was Terrifying!

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar

Driving a 700HP Superformance Cobra was Terrifying!

I was a little surprised at the no seat belt remark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75y5rXxa3Y8

Ron

MY ALBUMS

When does he accelerate with WOT?

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Some comments.

It had seatbelts. They were red and you could see them tucked along side the seat in one of the opening shots of the car. And if they did not wear them it only goes to prove how stupid both of them were.

So the car still had temp plates on it and the dumb f*ck managed to burn himself twice. Maybe he took too many hits to the head when he played ball. Or maybe he forgot to wear his helmet.

Not sure I believe the 700 to 800HP claim. And with it being a Superformance I'm guessing the weight was closer to the 2500 to 2550 pound range, not 2400 pounds.

And I believe that is the first Superformance car I have seen with bolt on wheels. But considering he is probably brain damaged it makes sense.
    Last edited by Silverback; 05-22-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    If you're not sliding the ass out a little your not accelerating hard enough.

They were both scared. Fluff boy will never drive it again. He'll just polish it every day... or have a lackey do it.

haha, i can make the same vid in my 140HP Morgan. Just show.
    Besides… 700 HP in a Cobra.... who "can" drive that unless using max 300 … ???

True, you can only use about 200 in first, maybe 350 in second, but by 3rd, you can hook up and use it all.

I like slowing to 60 on the tool road for the RFID no stop booth, hitting 3rd as I pass the booth and run it up to 120 or so. Only minimal wheel spin.

Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post
    haha, i can make the same vid in my 140HP Morgan. Just show.
    Besides… 700 HP in a Cobra.... who "can" drive that unless using max 300 … ???
    Norbert, I don't mean this to be condescending, but you keep saying this over and over but you have never owned a Cobra with a lot of HP. To me it there was nothing like pushing the Cobra to the limit and maintaining control with your right foot. Be it in a straight line or in the corners.

And as Brian stated, you may not be able to use all that power in the lower gears, but there reaches a point where you can. And it brings a great big smile on your face when you do.

i hear you Silver , but i stay with my thought. I had the Morgan GTN … i assume a bit comparable with a Cobra ? Same weight , same low profile 2 seater sports car , with the BMW V8 360 HP engine.... and that was more than enough for that car to drive it "safe" on a regular basis... in dry weather of course.
    So that's why i get the idea 700HP must be "show"... and in fact dangerous to drive unless you are constant very prudent with the gas pedal.

I would prefer a 350 HP Cobra to enjoy ….

As Luce said, you can use more and more HP in higher gears. I've been WOT a few times, and with supercharging you really have to ease on and ease off.
    My car dyno'd at 770. You can use it all going straight, although Dean may tell you it wasn't all that straight
    I've pulled away from an Enzo and a Porsche CGT with pedal to spare.
    The spirited runs with friends are behind me, though. I'm going to start taking her to tracks.

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    The ride shouldn't be terrifying unless you're being stupid.

I'm not convinced that's a Superformance. As Silver said I've never seen bolt-on wheels on a Superformance.

I went back and watched part of it again Al and I'm pretty sure it is a Superformance. To me the telling feature was the down legs on the roll bar. One is in front of the rear bulkhead, and the other is behind it.

Here's a little math fun

A lot of this is from memory and on the fly, so don't pester me about being off by 20%

With a 26" tire, (close enough to say radius of 12") and a good healthy weight transfer to the rear, coefficient of friction of 1.0, you can sink about 1000 ft lbs to each tire.

Going up the drive train, that's 2000 ft lbs to the diff, divide by 3.5 ratio, we're at 570 ft lbs at the drive shaft.

So yea, with a 2.5 ratio first gear, it only takes 228 ft lbs at the crank to break traction, not discounting for losses in the driveline.
    With a 1.8 second gear, you can push 316 ft lbs out the crank and not break traction.
    Hit 3rd at 1.35 and now you can utilize 422 ft lbs of your torque.
    Most 4th gears are 1:1, so now you need 570 ft lbs to break traction.
    If you have overdrive(s) lets say 1.63, you can safely accelerate( I laugh as I type, because you're 120 MPH+ by now) with the force of 930 ft lbs of traction. So that tells me you need about 1000 HP to truly be traction limited and have too much power.

You were off by 21%.

probably, if I can't be off by an order of magnitude, I don't have a large enough safety margin.

Member Funding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce_ View Post
    Here's a little math fun

A lot of this is from memory and on the fly, so don't pester me about being off by 20%

With a 26" tire, (close enough to say radius of 12") and a good healthy weight transfer to the rear, coefficient of friction of 1.0, you can sink about 1000 ft lbs to each tire.

Going up the drive train, that's 2000 ft lbs to the diff, divide by 3.5 ratio, we're at 570 ft lbs at the drive shaft.

So yea, with a 2.5 ratio first gear, it only takes 228 ft lbs at the crank to break traction, not discounting for losses in the driveline.
    With a 1.8 second gear, you can push 316 ft lbs out the crank and not break traction.
    Hit 3rd at 1.35 and now you can utilize 422 ft lbs of your torque.
    Most 4th gears are 1:1, so now you need 570 ft lbs to break traction.
    If you have overdrive(s) lets say 1.63, you can safely accelerate( I laugh as I type, because you're 120 MPH+ by now) with the force of 930 ft lbs of traction. So that tells me you need about 1000 HP to truly be traction limited and have too much power.
    The math here is actually very realistic, I calculated that my car could produce about 1165 lb/ft at each rear tire at 119 mph in 4th including 15% loss for drive train. You still cannot use full throttle at that speed because of tire spin. That is with 4.88 rear gears and the engine making 562 lb/ft at 7500 rpm.
    The attached data segment shows .9 G acceleration at 90.8 mph. I did not have throttle trace overlayed but it was about 60%. The math looks good but you don't need 1000 HP to spin the tires in 4th, just a high numerical ratio and an engine that makes torque at high rpm.

The 4.88 rear gear sort of skews the gears up one.

My first number was assuming a 1.0 coefficient for friction and around 80% weight transfer to the rear 1000 lbs per tire) , that should net .8G of acceleration. I guessed a good tire on a good surface would likely do a little closer to 1.1-1.2. A larger than 24" tire also skew The axle torque up. Mine are actually 26" IIRC.

Thanks for the hard data. Good to see I haven't lost a toe and didn't notice.

Senior Member Funding Member Morris's Avatar
    I go by lap times......and they will tell you how quick you are from point A to point B....in each corner.....

Also slow turn ....(50 to 75 mph) turns are hard to get full throttle until you get straightened out.....then hang on....but turns like the carousel at Road America are 4 th gear thru the apex...then 5th gear thru the Kink.....full throttle and be a Man....it’s a kick just thinking about it....