Thread: New member CSX3170

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar

New member CSX3170

We have a new member, CSX3170 (Bruce). Here's what Bruce had to say:

I live in Central California and own
    CSX3170 (shown). My other cars are a 2014 991 GT3 Porsche and a 2018 Ford GT (not Mustang).
    My Cobra won the Goodguys autoxer of the year in 2018 and 2019. It is very advanced in terms of suspension
    engine and brakes. The NA engine makes 820 hp at 8200 and 562 lb/ft at 7500 and has a 9500 rpm red line.
    It is FE based and has a Shelby aluminum block with a dry sump system. The suspension is modified
    to correct the geometry and has
    cartridge bearing billet front hub carriers. The brakes are Baer and Wilwood with full floating front rotors
    and a Mark V Bosch racing ABS system. We run the car on 200 TW
    tires in the SCCA CAM S class.
    My Porsche won the Super Street National championship in 2015 and 2016. I have not run the GT in anything as I intend to sell it in October when it is 2 years old and buy a Mclaren 720s. GT has only
    200 miles on it and is stored.
    That is probably more info than you wanted but use what you like. Oh by the way I am the original owner of
    CSX3170, bought it in November of

Bruce, that is a serious Cobra, for sure. I'm certain some of the members will want to know more, so expect some questions and requests for more photos as well.

Hope you enjoy the site.

Kevin

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Hey Bruce,

Welcome to the site. I have followed your racing for quite a long time and you have did really well. You are one of the very few original owners of one of the original Cobras.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Welcome to the site Bruce.

And Kevin is correct, we will take all the pictures you will post. Especially Nomad since he cannot read.

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    Welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing more of your awesome videos. That car is a beast.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Welcome Bruce. Love your posts and videos as you extract that last ounce of power and grip out of your original CSX.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Member Funding Member
    Thanks guys I look forward to sharing ideas with you. I am just getting ready for 2020 now. I changed valve spring type, retainers, locators, seals and locks. Even the locks are Ti now, have to be very careful because you can't snag them with a magnet now. I was breaking spring tips so we are using spring solid height and smaller diameter springs to try and avoid the breakage. I had my power steering gear rebuilt and replaced the rod ends and inner balls on the steering rack. I am also installing new brake pads too because the old ones are a little thin. I have modified the feed line on my ABS system to avoid over voltage drop outs so there is a lot to test. Objective is to be running by first week in March and do some ride height and spring rate testing. Goodguys have changed their rules to put all cars that are under 3000 lbs in the ProX class. That would let all regular Corvettes run the pro class and relegate all Cobras, the Summit tube frame Corvettes, and other specialty cars to a separate class. They are talking about adding a time penalty to ProX to "make it fair" so all our hard work is rewarded with a time penalty. I know that the Corvette boys have been complaining about light weight but that really isn't the issue it is the work we put in that makes the car fast, oh well.

Been following you on CC since forever! Love CSX3170!! Meant to be driven!
    Last edited by bwcobra15; 02-11-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Hurricane 427 build in progress:
    - Craft Performance 427W 600hp/600tq, TKO 600 5spd
    ..I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright hold tight I'm a highway star!

Quote Originally Posted by CSX3170 View Post
    Thanks guys I look forward to sharing ideas with you. I am just getting ready for 2020 now. I changed valve spring type, retainers, locators, seals and locks. Even the locks are Ti now, have to be very careful because you can't snag them with a magnet now. I was breaking spring tips so we are using spring solid height and smaller diameter springs to try and avoid the breakage. I had my power steering gear rebuilt and replaced the rod ends and inner balls on the steering rack. I am also installing new brake pads too because the old ones are a little thin. I have modified the feed line on my ABS system to avoid over voltage drop outs so there is a lot to test. Objective is to be running by first week in March and do some ride height and spring rate testing. Goodguys have changed their rules to put all cars that are under 3000 lbs in the ProX class. That would let all regular Corvettes run the pro class and relegate all Cobras, the Summit tube frame Corvettes, and other specialty cars to a separate class. They are talking about adding a time penalty to ProX to "make it fair" so all our hard work is rewarded with a time penalty. I know that the Corvette boys have been complaining about light weight but that really isn't the issue it is the work we put in that makes the car fast, oh well.
    Hello Bruce,

Can you explain the highlighted statement above. I know damn well you know what you are doing but I think we may have lost something there.

Senior Member Funding Member 289FIA's Avatar
    Bruce,

Good to have you over here. Looking forward to following your racing for the upcoming season. No matter what we do and how well we do, there is always that never ending quest for performing just a little better. Hope that you have a successful season and kick some Corvette butt.

Jim

Member Funding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Hello Bruce,

Can you explain the highlighted statement above. I know damn well you know what you are doing but I think we may have lost something there.
    Sure, the people at PSI (the spring supplier) said breakage was due to harmonics in the spring at valve float. JHE a NASCAR and NHRA spring supplier recommended a smaller diameter spring made to their specs by PSI, a
    new smaller retainer and Ti locks shimmed so that at full valve lift we would be less than .060" from solid height or coil bind. They said this set up should be good for 9500, this is my third set of springs in 3 years. I certainly hope it works, changing the springs in the car is a huge PIA, it takes me about 30 minutes per cylinder. My engine builder thinks it is the right direction to go too. We have a soft limit at 9300 and a hard cut at 9500 in the fuel system.

Thanks Bruce, I understand now.

At first it sounded like you were using a smaller spring to get to coil bind at full lift. But now I see you have .060 clearance.

Senior Member Funding Member Morris's Avatar
    Bruce

Welcome to the site....lots of good folks here ....& many interesting threads......enjoy....

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    Bruce,

Welcome to the site. As you can see many of us have followed you for some time. I hope you will share some of your stories with us.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Welcome Bruce from Ontario, Canada! X2 I have followed your racing over on CC. Always great to see your pics and comments. Good luck on the upcoming season and as "289FIA" has stated go kick some Corvette Ass!

Stu.