Thread: MUNCIE 4 spd. , excellent shape

Junior Member Funding Member

MUNCIE 4 spd. , excellent shape

I bought this over 25-30 years ago to use in a cobra that I never built . I've got my cobra and do not need the transmission .

$750 OBO , thanks , Bob , and email me for all pictures I have or more info , it's an M20
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1935olds; 12-29-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Not a single offer , I guess nobody uses 4 speeds anymore . I know a guy who has a 4 speed shifter knob on his 5 speed

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Oh the memories! Lying on my back underneath my ‘71 Camaro bench pressing one of these back into position during clutch jobs. LOL
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    Hmmm, that could be. Even for guys that are somewhat interested in originality, a 5-speed seems to be an acceptable "cheat". I have a friend with a top-loader in his, so there are 4 speeds around.

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Its sort of tempting but I can't really justify more garage art. I rebuilt my 66 Corvette Transmission with a new Autogear Super Case and M22 W gear set a few years ago and it's shifting nicely.

I'm a member of the C1-C2 and if you like I can post a link to your post over there in case someone is looking for one. Do you know what the numbers that are "stamped" on the case? Not the casting and part numbers but stamped. Im not sure but I think the "P" stampings might be a Corvette plant transmission.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Senior Member Funding Member
    I may be wrong, but I think the 289 FIA's used a 4 speed. If somebody was building a 289 this would be a good one.

Early 289s use B&W T10s. Not sure if FIA used T10 or Toploader. GM Muncie might bolt up to a T10 bellhousing - not 100% sure.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Hey great , I'm getting some response ! Yes by all means put on the corvette sites , I've been a member of NCRS since 84 , no response from there . I used racing junk . com and sold a bunch of stuff I've stored since the middle 80'$ .That's when I fell in love with the cobra . While doing a restoration on a 1960 corvette , IMG_0015.jpg

And Dean , thanks again for the quick jack tracings , I'm about to post pictures of mine , I'll post on the same forum .

Even at my cruising speed of 80 mph in South Africa or Germany I prefer a 4-speed (3.300 rpm at 80 mph). Not that my vote holds much weight.
    I also loved the gearing combined with my rear diif: 1. gear 62 mph, 2. 100 mph, 3. 125 mph. Covers all the prominent acceleration tests.

I would put the offer in a race car (FIA?) forum. You might point out that the Muncie is considerable lighter than a Toploader.

What's really nice for a new life for old Muncie's are all the aftermarket support for them now. There are stronger cases and tail housings available. There are new Italian made gear sets available in a number of different ratios. I built mine a couple years ago with a new AG Supercase that solves just about all of the old Muncie's weaknesses. I built it with an M22 Italian gearset with the coarser gear angle for greater strength (and that famous Rock Crusher whine in lower gears). I selected the wide ratio version of the M22 gear sets which mimics an M20 transmission but the narrow gap between 2nd and 3rd is slightly opened up and the gap between 3rd and 4th is closed up to make all the gear spreads more uniform. It makes for less hunting back and forth between 3rd and 4th around town and spaces the gaps more uniformly for road work.

IMG_3960_zps2zx4j3nv.jpg

IMG_4023_zpsiqdxlk3w.jpg

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Even at my cruising speed of 80 mph in South Africa or Germany I prefer a 4-speed (3.300 rpm at 80 mph). Not that my vote holds much weight.
    I also loved the gearing combined with my rear diif: 1. gear 62 mph, 2. 100 mph, 3. 125 mph. Covers all the prominent acceleration tests.

I would put the offer in a race car (FIA?) forum. You might point out that the Muncie is considerable lighter than a Toploader.
    If I remember correctly the Toploader was the heaviest 4 speed made excluding some of the truck only transmissions. But they were stronger than hell.

Actually the Chrysler A833 is heavier - 125 lbs dry. It's a beast physical size and weigth. I think a Toploader is around 110 lbs and a Muncie is way down around 85 lbs.

Thanks for correcting me Dan.

@DANEC , you mentioned the M22 , It was very smart building one opposed to buying one . These corvette guys want $$$$ for a M22 . It's like gold !

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    ...and a Muncie is way down around 85 lbs.
    That sounds about right. I remember the procedure for my driveway clutch changes.

1. Grab the transmission and slowly lower onto my chest.
    2. Wiggle underneath the car and into position with the transmission still on chest.
    3. Bench press the transmission into place (having aligned the clutch disc and throw-out bearing with a whittled piece of broom stick doweling prior).

Oh what fun!
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Thanks for correcting me Dan.
    More informing than correction. Who memorizes transmission weights anyway - you could have told me to get a life.

A couple years ago I pulled the Torqeflite out of my GTX on a single stage transmission jack that only lowers down to about 4-1/2 ft. I needed to get it down on the floor and hey, its aluminum so how heavy can it be? So I saddled up to it and cradled both ends in my arms with my legs slightly bent but because of the lift feet and casters it was difficult to get square under it. I then straightened my legs and lifted - and all that happened was I went ummmphhh and nothing moved. So,- how much does this dang thing weight? So I looked it up and it's about 165 lbs. First thing to do was remove the dang torque converter and then I rigged up a 2x4 boom off my lift to set it down.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    That sounds about right. I remember the procedure for my driveway clutch changes.

1. Grab the transmission and slowly lower onto my chest.
    2. Wiggle underneath the car and into position with the transmission still on chest.
    3. Bench press the transmission into place (having aligned the clutch disc and throw-out bearing with a whittled piece of broom stick doweling prior).

Oh what fun!
    I used to do that with my Jeep CJ5. It had a Toploader with the transfer case attached. I remember one time it took me three tries to get is lined up and in place. I would kill myself if I tried that today.

About the weight, I place a (cast iron) Toploader also around 110 lbs and an aluminium Muncie at 70 lbs. Big difference when you lay on your back! Surely there are tables on the web to compare. And I like the aftermarket improvements.

Now sell this thing :-) Or build a Grand Sport Vette to use it up.