Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movie Review: FORD vs. FERRARI

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Interesting article Nomad. Thanks for posting it.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

When I watched the commercial, it looked like it was a possibly going to be a parody, but a friend went and thought it was great. I was pissed that he went to see it without me. Joking...but, with my health, I'll just watch it on HBO. We have a 55" curved Samsung TV, so it'll do. lol

So how many stars will you give it ? 0-5

Quote Originally Posted by 427HISS View Post
    When I watched the commercial, it looked like it was a possibly going to be a parody, but a friend went and thought it was great. I was pissed that he went to see it without me. Joking...but, with my health, I'll just watch it on HBO. We have a 55" curved Samsung TV, so it'll do. lol

So how many stars will you give it ? 0-5
    4 Stars,

and 3 thumbs up.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Saw the movie today and thought it was great. Thought Matt Damon did a very good job in the role actually. Some minor technical and era inconsistencies but fewer than I expected and the only one kind of irritating was the pretension the car had something like a 7 speed transmission and they could upshift and downshift at 190 - 200 mph speeds when in fact with the 4-sp they would have been locked in 4th at anything much over around 160 - 170 mph. Highly enjoyable movie.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Moderator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    Dan,

That's Hollywood, so glad you were able to just enjoy the movie. Your comments reminded me of this:

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Good one Kevin.

I think you nailed it with that one Kevin. Most Hollywood directors seem to be preoccupied with shifting. Maybe millennials don't have any experience with manual transmissions and think it's some sort of exotic thing. Similar thing with westerns and action movies over the years. They all seem to be running around on the verge of a gun battle with Winchester rifles in the case of westerns, or Glocks in the case of action movies, and have an empty chamber so that just as the bullets start flying they have to crank that Winchester lever or jack that Glock slide back to make a macho show of chambering a round. Personally I think they just look like an idiot running into a fight with essentially an empty gun.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    Most Hollywood directors seem to be preoccupied with shifting. Maybe millennials don't have any experience with manual transmissions and think it's some sort of exotic thing.
    Completely agree. And yes, my initial review was arguably on the harsh side. For the storytelling and the Miles dominance I give it a strong four. Overall I’m going to have to stick to my 3.5. LOL. Saw Midway last night and that was a solid 4.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

We went and saw Howdy Doody - Man Or Myth last evening.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story line,

but came away not completely satisfied that the question was answered.

I also left my Bourbon Body Pac at home,

so I had a hard time concentrating.
    SEE MY ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    Completely agree. And yes, my initial review was arguably on the harsh side. For the storytelling and the Miles dominance I give it a strong four. Overall I’m going to have to stick to my 3.5. LOL. Saw Midway last night and that was a solid 4.
    Well, after reading an article on FAQs about the movie I would probably give it a 4. A lot of the Ford interaction with the Shelby team was apparently taken out of chronological sequence and embellished here and there. They did say they got the actual race down pretty much correctly except for a few details. Someone mentioned it was raining at the finish and that Shelby actually did go along with the 1-2-3 finish. One part that I wonder about is the complete change out of the a-arm to brake pad assemblies in mid race. Apparently that is founded in fact but did they really change out that much of the assembly? What about alignment? Even if the suspension has all "hard" attachment points and all camber and caster adjustments are dialed in on the a-arm members in advance - what about toe? Hard to believe two complete suspension assemblies could be pre-adjusted for toe and that would be critical at 200 mph on a circuit course. Did they take time to adjust the toe with a tram bar in the change over? Or was the change out something of less magnitude like just the rotors, calipers, bearings and pads?

Interesting you liked Midway. From the trailer it looked to me like another overdone CG movie lacking proper perspective of planes to ships and speed and to each other and with inaccurate movement. But I talked with someone else my age who saw the movie and they really liked it also. So maybe it's better than I thought and I need to see it.

Moderator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    Can't remember where I saw the recommendation for a documentary about the Ford/Ferrari rivalry called "The 24 Hour War". It's a 1 1/2 hour documentary and is available on Netflix and Amazon Prime (maybe other places as well). Rotten Tomatoes scored it 100% by the critics and 83% by the audience. I have it queued up to watch when my son comes home for Thanksgiving but have skimmed through it and it looks very good from an initial quick look. Looks like it has a lot of original footage and photos so I'm looking forward to watching it.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Dan, the CG in Midway is overdone and some of the flying sequences are pure Hollywood (e.g. the Pearl Harbor scenes when Japanese Zeros are literally flying right down battleship lane BELOW the masts/towers and spraying bullets). No pilot would fly that low to the deck BETWEEN ships. But the storyline and strategy was spot on, the actors played their respective characters well (unlike Damon, who I like as an actor but he’s no Carroll Shelby), and they showed a lot of hairy flying scenes that put you square into the battle (much like Saving Private Ryan did, but without as much of the gore).
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

SEE MY ALBUM

SEE MY ALBUM

Thanks Dean - sounds like it would be worth seeing.

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    F--- her and the Unicorn that she rode in on.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."