Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Old Tire's ?

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    Doesn't Goodyear still make them?

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    If they don't make them I sure wouldn't buy a set after all the stories I've read about their rapid aging
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

I'm pretty sure they don't and many people have asked them to produce them again, but Good Year there's not enough demand, so no proffer.
    They've asked about making them a radial, but again not enough demand. The AVON is supposed to be a better tire and has the same tread pattern as the Billboard tires.

I think the Billboard is a good racing and street tire, but they are stone thrower's and with our Cobras they tend to hit the front of the rear quarters. That's why a lot of owners have installed "spats" to cover that area, including me. I made mine out of vinyl and attached them with thin velcro glued to the body.

But that happens with most or every tire, not just the Billboards.

I'm sure I'll buy from one of these company's lettering. I'll have to read over them again, it's been quite a while, but one has a permanent Rubber type lettering.

TREAD WARE- (1" to 2.5")

https://tredwear.com/

Billboard Cobra lettering. (no pics though)

https://tredwear.com/tire-kits/billb...re-letter-kit/

(Just one review and pics on the FFR website. LOVE the difference they make VS a BFG tire)

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/55-tir...s-r-tires.html

TIRE STICKERS- (1" to 2" plus custom size)

https://www.tirestickers.com/goodyea...ard-lettering/

Good Year Billboard lettering

https://www.tirestickers.com/shop/go...-f1-lettering/
    Last edited by 427HISS; 08-28-2019 at 02:21 PM.

A bit more information.

The Goodyear Cobra Tire, part numbers D2547 and D2546, Billboards as so many call them, are most definitely still being manufactured domestically. They are available from Roger Kraus, Carroll Shelby Enterprises, Inc., JEGS, Vintage Wheels US, and other sellers of race car tires.

Last year when I was ready to buy, JEGS had the best price. I called JEGS and asked if these tires were warehoused, or drop shipped by Goodyear. The rep told me they were warehoused, and couldn't tell me how long they may be kept in the warehouse. I paid a higher price to another seller in order to get more recently made tires.

GY BB's do not have a date code on the sidewall, yet DOT approved street tires do display a manufactured date code. The tire aging clock begins ticking when a tire has been cast, not when it is mounted on a rim/wheel.

The GY BB's are designated as NOT DOT APPROVED, and NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE, and this is stated on the sidewall. There is the potential for litigation, if a street vehicle with GY BB's is involved in a public road traffic accident.

These tires are a very light tire. The sidewalls are thin, which contributes to the tramming/hunting while driving.

They are a great looking tire on a Cobra, but.....

Last edited by HTM101; 08-28-2019 at 05:46 PM.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I have the information somewhere but I'm too damned tired to look for it, but the set of BB's are 50 pounds lighter than the Goodyear GT II's that I replaced. And that is all unsprung weight which makes a big difference in handling.

I had the Avon tires on the Cobra when I got rid of it, but if I had kept it I was planning on replacing them with the hand grooved racing slicks. Once again, not DOT approved but I preferred the ultimate possible handling I could get.

I remember reading a thread on a different website that Good Year stopped making them and the remaining tires held at warehouses were old stock. I had a group buy on them from Roger several years ago, but never mounted. Maybe I should turn them into coffee tables. lol

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    These aren't the Billboards but are the tires that came on my 69 Cobra. They are now 47 years old.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Wow buddy, younger than you are !

Kevin,

They are almost half my age.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

HALF,...HALF !

Now you sound like Silver.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

That's low Ron, even if it was Kevin.

I know. I aspire to new lows every day.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Well Ron I have no doubt that at some time in your life you were a nice person but now you have been exposed to Nomad, WaffleHead and myself and look what has happened to you.

Yeah Ron, like Silverbutt said.
    Last edited by 427HISS; 08-29-2019 at 08:27 AM.

My doctor told me to pick someone that I could use as role models and I picked you and Nomad.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Well Ron I have no doubt that at some time in your life you were a nice person but now you have been exposed to Nomad, WaffleHead and myself and look what has happened to you.

MY ALBUMS

That is sad and wrong in so many ways Ron.

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    I find Ron to be a nice guy. Now you guys are making me wonder about the rest of my acquaintances.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    My doctor told me to pick someone that I could use as role models and I picked you and Nomad.

Ron
    Would have been further ahead picking a scab.

Just say'in.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    I find Ron to be a nice guy. Now you guys are making me wonder about the rest of my acquaintances.
    Sorry Dan, but if you are only wondering then something may be wrong with you also.