The Original Ford Mustang BULLITT

An interesting interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VHikAvyXWk

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Personally I think the glass enclosed structure is a little over the top. It's just a car, not the Liberty Bell.

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    That is interesting. I knew there were some survivor movie cars but didn't realize one of them survived in that good of condition. Enclosure may be a bit over the top but considering his story of how the family was so intent on keeping it out of public view all these years, I can understand their wanting to take precautions to protect it the elements and the more stupid of the public who can's seem to keep hands off anything.
    Enough about public enemy No. 1 - Facebook. Fight fake news - watch One America News (OAN)

Damn car was right in my back yard and I missed the opportunity to see it... Ugh...

It is the one which even Steve McQueen wanted to buy back from them and they refused to sell :-)
    I did a bit of research on this car in 2017 when I had a spare 390 and saw a 390 Mustang body for sale.

Wonder if they also located the Dodge... And the Beetle!
    Last edited by dominik; 08-13-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    nothing is as it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    It is the one which even Steve McQueen wanted to buy back from them and they refused to sell :-)
    I did a bit of research on this car in 2017 when I had a spare 390 and saw a 390 Mustang body for sale.

Wonder if they also located the Dodge... And the Beetle!
    Yes, so says the son. The video shows a letter to the father, doesnít say whatís in the letter, only that Steve McQueen wanted to buy the car back and the father politely refused.

Iím in the process of restoring a Ď67 GT, numbers matching 390, (given to me buy my Father) and Iíd have a hard time parting ways with it.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Dom,

I think the Dodge was destroyed and the Beetle wasn't even supposed to be in the movie as that was some guy there that ran through the blocked intersection and San Francisco only allowed them one shot at that street so they left it in. I was down there when they shot that scene and the one that was out by the airport and the police had the Beetle pulled over at the bottom of the hill. I don't know if they gave him a ticket or not but they were not happy.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

You were there? Awesome! Find that beetle, it's worth $100.000! ;-)

The letter from McQ to the 390 owner is all over the web:
    https://i0.wp.com/thechicaneblog.com...teveletter.jpg
    nothing is as it seems...

Dom,

I was working on one of the computers down there at the time they shot those scenes so I took time off to go watch. I wish I could find that Beetle but my guess is that it has long since been crushed as they weren't into saving cars then. They had two identical Mustangs they used and both were pretty beaten up when the movie was finished.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

The Mustang was cool but the big, black 440 Charger was downright spiritual to me as a big Mopar fan back then. The visual of it blasting up that hill with the tires smoking is forever embedded in my grey matter. And I've always heard it was 100% stock.

https://youtu.be/31JgMAHVeg0

Apparently at least one of the ones from the shooting of the movie is still around.

https://www.carlylemotors.com/vehicl...d64ac1ba3ee3ec
    Enough about public enemy No. 1 - Facebook. Fight fake news - watch One America News (OAN)

Dan,

The Charger was faster than the Mustang and they had to let off on it so the Mustang could keep up. The Mustang was a stock 390 and just couldn't keep up on the road with that Charger.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Those old Mopars were a bit crude in areas compared to the GM & Ford intermediates but they were tough old birds and could haul the goods. I tend to forget all the full throttle blasts I put my 64 through for years with minimal maintenance and without a hiccup.

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    I just read that this car will be offered at the Mecum Kissimmee auction next year.