Thread: Cars & Coffee Yesterday

Cars & Coffee Yesterday

Well, I finally got the Cobra out of the garage yesterday for the first time in about four months. Went to C&C for about an hour, then drove around the foothills for about three hours. One of the guys in our local Cobra group brought his 1964 FIA Cobra to C&C. Nice to see someone actually driving an original. Here's a couple of pictures:

Photos are from the C&C website because I didn't think to take any myself

Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    That is a nice one Ted. Thanks for posting the pictures. Where do you go for C&C?

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Nice Cobra.

I have to admit, I don't think I have ever seen a hood scoop like that on an original Cobra.

Senior Member Funding Member t walgamuth's Avatar
    I am no expert on such details on an original car but should the down turns at the end be perpendicular to the hood?
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    That is a nice one Ted. Thanks for posting the pictures. Where do you go for C&C?

Ron
    Ron,

I usually go to the C&C in Folsom, but this time I went to the one in Rocklin.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Nice Cobra.

I have to admit, I don't think I have ever seen a hood scoop like that on an original Cobra.
    I don't know the history of the car and I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner, but as you know, many of these cars were either modified by owners after the sale or they were just built at the Shelby facility with differing attributes. The car is CSX2303, so if any of you guys have a copy of the SAAC Cobra Registry, there may be some historical information about it. I'd like to know myself.

Ted

[QUOTE=Shootnride;160365]I don't know the history of the car and I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner, but as you know, many of these cars were either modified by owners after the sale or they were just built at the Shelby facility with differing attributes. The car is CSX2303, so if any of you guys have a copy of the SAAC Cobra Registry, there may be some historical information about it. I'd like to know myself.

Ted[/QUOTE

Perhaps Mr Sundude will chime in. After all he's the "Cobra Whisperer"

Ted,

I have the last registry published which has the Cobras, Daytona Coupes, GT-40s,and Superformance information in it. CSX 2303 has been through so many owners and modified so much it no longer is even close to what it came from-Shelby as. It was originally Red with Black interior and had no roll bar or hood scoop. The 289 was replaced with a 302 stroker and there are to many things changed to try and put into a post. Even the doors were worked on some.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Ted,

I have the last registry published which has the Cobras, Daytona Coupes, GT-40s,and Superformance information in it. CSX 2303 has been through so many owners and modified so much it no longer is even close to what it came from-Shelby as. It was originally Red with Black interior and had no roll bar or hood scoop. The 289 was replaced with a 302 stroker and there are to many things changed to try and put into a post. Even the doors were worked on some.

Ron

Very interesting Ron. So, I wonder if the FIA body was an addition or modification made to the car sometime after it's original production ? I don't remember the production quantities, but I remember reading in one of my Cobra books that the number of factory FIA cars was very limited.

Ted

Ted,

If it was possible for me to copy the two pages of changes that has been made on that car I would send it to you. I know the body was changed some but I never read the whole sheet as they used very small print to get all of the invoices in and not have to print two books.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

No problem Ron, I understand. I know that he bought the car about a year and a half ago. Maybe he got a smokin' deal on it because of it's history.

Ted

If it's been raced such running mods don't seem to hurt value much.

It has a racing history. That was why all of the mod were made in the first place but I think the last owner before this one never changed much as he basically just parked it.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

One thing I forgot to mention about my drive in the Cobra last Saturday. I was driving in the lower foothills where it's very rural and there are a lot of very nice homes on acreage. As I was approaching a T-intersection, there was a Park & Ride area off to the left side of the road and there was one of those big orange (don't remember the company) enclosed vehicle transporters and they had just unloaded a new Ford GT. Beautiful car, although I wasn't really partial to the satin black paint job. That's only the second one of those cars that I've seen. Anyway, just thought it was worth mentioning because it's so rare to see one.

Ted

very cool!

Ted,

We used to have two of them that I would see driving around here but lately I haven't seen either one.

Ron

MY ALBUMS