Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charging System Troubleshooting--Blown Ignition Light Fuse?

Quote Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
    Nope. Still in electrical purgatory!
    Dang !, sounds like you've got a stubborn little gremlin. Electrical issues are kind of difficult to diagnose via a forum. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Senior Member Funding Member ACHiPo's Avatar
    I got the charging system working by eliminating the ignition and gauge circuit from the charging circuit. Now to find the short!

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Evan,

Can you now just hook one of those circuits back up and see if that causes your problem. If so that would be the easy way to eliminate it to the one other circuit. I don't know how difficult it is for you to get to the back of your gauges but if it is in that circuit I used to have mine wired where I could break the circuit in the middle and if the first gauges worked then I only had the other three to look at.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member ACHiPo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Evan,

Can you now just hook one of those circuits back up and see if that causes your problem. If so that would be the easy way to eliminate it to the one other circuit. I don't know how difficult it is for you to get to the back of your gauges but if it is in that circuit I used to have mine wired where I could break the circuit in the middle and if the first gauges worked then I only had the other three to look at.

Ron
    Ron,
    There are two wires to the fuse that keeps blowing. They are crimped in a single ring lug, and I hate to separate them as there's not much wire to work with at the harness, but may have to.

I bought a "short and open" tester. It was advertised as being able to find the location of a short or open. It appears to do that for an open, but all it does is act as a continuity tester for shorts. I'll need to do it the old fashioned way.

It's damn near impossible to do anything behind the dash, although I am getting better at getting gauges in and out. I have a heater which takes up a bunch of room. I also have foot well fan switches that mount below the dash in front of the heater making access to that part of the dash even tougher. I may try dropping the glove box to get easier access to the heater and wiper switches, two things that are on the bad circuit that I need to troubleshoot.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Evan,

Trying to get to things behind the dash can be a real pain. That is why in my other Cobra I wired the gauges with feeds from both ends and an easy way to break that circuit in the middle. I had a gauge short and that made it really easy to narrow it down to three gauges and then check them. But now with my back and shoulders I could no longer begin to twist around to get behind the dash of the Coupe. I wish they had hinged the dash at each end so it could be released and just swung out so the backside is easy to get to.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Would it be easier to just remove the dash?