Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame On Fire

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar

Notre Dame On Fire

This is to bad as it is a historic place that can't be replaced. I am watching it on TV.

https://news.yahoo.com/live-updates-...173732973.html

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Going to be a total loss by the looks of it. Video I seen early showed flames shooting 30 to 40 feet above the roof.

I fear that you are correct about that. I watched it for a long time and when the tower fell I stopped as there isn't much they can do but try to limit the flames from spreading. A shame as there is a lot of history in that place and it can never be replaced. But on the better side, no one was killed or injured from what some tourists that were there when the fire started have said. Nothing can really be official until they can get in the ruins and check everything.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    I was surprised how little water I could see being put on the fire. I saw one group on a balcony with what looked like a garden hose. Where were the aerial trucks and water cannons?

It's France. Very few countries spend what the US does on infrastructure.

Al,

I saw one water canon but it never showed up until quite some time after the fire. I wondered why they didn't use helicopters and drop water straight down into the flames when they first started. But even that wouldn't have stopped the fire as it just sort of exploded and looked as the whole roof was on fire within minutes.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

There are some pictures of what was lost in this article. They can rebuild it but to me it will never be the same. Kind of like making a copy of a famous car. It looks the same but it just isn't.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/notre-dame...opstories.html

Ron

MY ALBUMS

MY ALBUMS

MY ALBUMS

i'm a bit sceptic …. ok, it's a piece of art , sure for the time it was build….but payed by the people to buy their sins of.... smart of the "church" do let people believe in that . Most people were poor, very poor…. but as here, in all small villages is a church… a contest to have the biggest one.

and… if i see the poverty in France nowadays ( see yellow vest protest ) …. doens't match that this morning there is already 300 M euro for rebuild of a … roof.

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    I hope they rebuild it as it represents some of the soul of France.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

What I wonder is if they will be able to find the workers with the skills to rebuild it. So many of those skills have been lost over time. But then this is France, not the US with so many laws that we drove those jobs to die out.

and counting… already 700 M euro donations

Senior Member Funding Member t walgamuth's Avatar
    Oh, they'll find the craftsmen and the money to bring it back to its former glory.
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by belgiumbarry View Post
    and counting… already 700 M euro donations
    I think that it's admirable that so many people, including a few billionaires, have come forth pledging considerable money to rebuild it. BUT...Wasn't this structure INSURED by the church or even the City of Paris?!? I mean, come on! It HAS to be insured at some level. It may not include the proper riders for the antiquities (priceless) that are inside, but the structure itself (and being a public access place for tourism) must maintain some minimum level of insurance (fire, liability, etc.).
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

i have read some remarks…. yes, it is insured… so the donations will go to some pockets.... why do you think billionaires give donations ? one knows one, a favorite for a return....

Senior Member Funding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    I think that it's admirable that so many people, including a few billionaires, have come forth pledging considerable money to rebuild it. BUT...Wasn't this structure INSURED by the church or even the City of Paris?!? I mean, come on! It HAS to be insured at some level. It may not include the proper riders for the antiquities (priceless) that are inside, but the structure itself (and being a public access place for tourism) must maintain some minimum level of insurance (fire, liability, etc.).
    Not to mention the poor contractor that was working on it, that probably started it in the first place!

Senior Member Funding Member t walgamuth's Avatar
    I imagine the church is self insured. It is one of the largest wealthiest groups on earth.
    Cobra loving, autocrossing, grandpa Architect

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    So basically the billionaires that are publicly pledging all of this money are:
    1. Doing it for tax deduction purposes AND
    2. To receive favorable media/press to show that they're not greedy bastards

Follow the money and watch much of it disappear within the church. Or follow Bernie Sanders because he'll find a way to expatriate some of it to support his goals.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    So basically the billionaires that are publicly pledging all of this money are:
    1. Doing it for tax deduction purposes AND
    2. To receive favorable media/press to show that they're not greedy bastards

Follow the money and watch much of it disappear within the church. Or follow Bernie Sanders because he'll find a way to expatriate some of it to support his goals.
    Gee Dean, isn't that kind of shallow?