Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friends 63 Ford Galaxie - Q motor

Senior Member Funding Member
    Mark, I just noted in the above thread regarding Right Guard that you mentioned you were in the Coast Guard. I understand that you have to be over 6' tall to be in the Coast Guard because if the ship sinks you can wade ashore. As an ex Navy guy I am just trying to verify.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Looks damn good Dan.

And if Nomad sends you a PM asking if you can polish a knob for him, turn him down.

Just trust me on this one.

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    Had to wipe the drool off my keyboard before I could comment.

Looking GREAT!!!!!
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Senior Member Funding Member Shootnride's Avatar
    Really nice work on that trim Dan. The car looks great too.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Dan,

That is going to be one very nice car when it is finished. You are both doing great work.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Thanks - my payment is usually a Hamburger at our Sat lunch gatherings (now outdoors). One of the guys says he's going to get me a T-shirt with Popeye's buddy Wimpy on it saying - will work Tuesday for a burger today or something or other.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is dived into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by S_Reynolds View Post
    Mark, I just noted in the above thread regarding Right Guard that you mentioned you were in the Coast Guard. I understand that you have to be over 6' tall to be in the Coast Guard because if the ship sinks you can wade ashore. As an ex Navy guy I am just trying to verify.
    Off topic Sam, but guess that may be true, but it was better that why the Navy hauls Marines around on their ships!

(For those that don't know it's because - sheep were to obvious!)

Some more pictures while he had the car out yesterday preparing to mount the hood and slide in the front seat. Just about finished with the last of the trim - I have to finish some black accent trim on the headlight bucket pieces.

IMG_0192.jpgIMG_0193.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

In that right side garage opening in his old shop sits a restored 66 Shelby GT 350 Hurst auto and in his garage on the house sits his sons restored very early production 66 Shelby GT350 (still 65 dash and some other carry over parts). His shop is a real bit of tobacco road from years of projects. He's not much on organization or clearing out junk and parts.
    Last edited by DanEC; 08-23-2020 at 04:29 AM.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is dived into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

Looking good Dan. It looks as if you are beginning to get to the end of the job. Post pictures and a video of the first drive.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Finally got a few photos of the mostly finished 63 427 Galaxie today. Lacks hubcaps being installed and he's having a problem getting brake lights to work so he has been working on them - car isn't cleaned up at the moment - thus hand prints and smudges scattered around. Not a concours restoration. A few chrome pieces and glass pieces that really should be replaced but he was wanting a driver, cruise-night car to have some fun with.

IMG_5251.jpg
    IMG_5252.jpgIMG_5253.jpg
    IMG_5254.jpg
    Last edited by DanEC; 10-17-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Nelson Mandela

Looks damn nice in the pictures Dan. He should be proud of it.

I'm kind of partial to all the aluminum and SS shiny bits.

Nelson Mandela

As you should be.

Looks pretty good to me as is.

The owner Jerry, has restored more cars than I could ever hope too or would have the patience for. But one more winter project on the “mighty Galaxie” as he calls it is to loosen and readjust the front end this winter. When we installed the hood and started trying to adjust it, it was not falling into place right. After we got frustrated with uneven gaps and such we finally stood there awhile and just stared at it. Finally, not really wanting to ask this I said, Jerry when you put these fenders and the radiator support on, did you square the opening corners? This is a huge hood. He hesitated a bit and finally said no, no I didn’t. I had so much trouble getting the sides parallel I figured they had to be right. He said those fenders are really hard to install and just don’t adjust or move very well. He got it as good as he could but the front of the hood is short on one side to the fender front and long on the other - thus, this winters project. A car Restoration is never finished.

Nelson Mandela

Dan,

It looks really nice as it is and the hood won't be noticed by most people. And that will give him and you something to do over the Winter. Those pieces are really large and it is hard for one person to hold them and make sure they are just right.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Yes, I forgot to mention the inner fenders too - he said by the time you got all the bolts started in the inner and outer fenders, the core support and the firewall, trying to move (more like shove) it around was very difficult. I’m sure Ford assembly line workers must have used a lot of muscle power and pry bars to assemble these things.

Nelson Mandela

I'm betting they had an alignment jig to do it for them.