Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends 63 Ford Galaxie - Q motor

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar

Friends 63 Ford Galaxie - Q motor

Been helping a friend a little who is restoring a 63 Ford Galaxie 427 Q-motor. By the way Ron - he's your age. We went and picked the basic body up from the paint shop Friday and rolled it into his shop between rain showers yesterday. A couple of crappy pictures attached since I forgot to get any until it was out of the weather. It's an original 427/400 hp car and he has a complete 427 center oiler to go back in it - but not the original. I'm restoring his stainless trim and as soon as we can figure the best way to strip his aluminum trim of anodizing I guess I'll work on it to. There's about 200 ft of trim on this crazy thing. He's planning to scrape and clean the underside next on his lift and POR-15 the underside.

This guy has owned more 65, 66 and 67 Shelby Mustangs than anyone I've ever heard of - maybe as many as 8 or 9. He recently finished up a green 66 Hurst Shelby GT350 and his son has a real early 66 carryover (lots of 65 features still) that is rare. He sold a 62 406, 3x2 Galaxie to buy this 63.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is dived into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Dan,

That should be a really nice car when it is finished. And he has sure had some nice ones that you listed.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Try some Easy-Off oven cleaner on a small piece of that anodized trim. I once read that’s the trick in removing the anodizing on AN fittings.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Be sure to include more pictures as you guys progress on it.

Banned Funding Member
    a buddy in high school had a 62 406, 3x2... black convertible. I drove it home one night when he was too drunk to drive. When you opened the secondary carbs up the car accelerated like a rocket sled. I've felt nothing like it until my cobra.

Senior Member Funding Member
    When I was in the Coast Guard we used Right Guard Deodorant to burn off anodizing.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Mark,

Did you just put it on the aluminum and then set it on fire or just how did you use it? That is the first time I have heard of getting it off that way.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Tmark390 View Post
    When I was in the Coast Guard we used Right Guard Deodorant to burn off anodizing.
    OK - you win. That's the most unusual method of removing anodizing to date.
    Our world is not divided by Race, Color, Gender or Religion. Our world is dived into wise people and fools. And fools divide themselves by Race, Color, Gender or Religion.

Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    a buddy in high school had a 62 406, 3x2... black convertible. I drove it home one night when he was too drunk to drive. When you opened the secondary carbs up the car accelerated like a rocket sled. I've felt nothing like it until my cobra.
    There's something pretty cool about those early Q and R Fords and their multiple carb, solid lifter motors. When I worked in a grocery store in high school one of the stockers had a 62 hardtop, 4 speed with what I remember being a 390 solid lifter motor 3x2s - but recently I've been wondering if it was actually a 406. I know one thing it sounded pretty cool.

Nelson Mandela

Senior Member KING Nomad Funding Member nomad's Avatar
    A remarkable car for sure.

And by all accounts a lucky one!

Thanks for sharing the adventure.
    SEE MY ALBUM

"When I find the time, I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

"She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up"

My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Mark,

Did you just put it on the aluminum and then set it on fire or just how did you use it? That is the first time I have heard of getting it off that way.

Ron
    don't light it, just spray it on and wait a minute - usually used it on brass.

Banned Funding Member
    OK the rest of the story. We were headed west on the brand new still under construction I 465 on the south side of Indy. My buddy was asleep in the back, it was dark thirty something and I was driving an unfamiliar car that handled approximately like a coal barge but could really accelerate.

So I was in the fast lane overtaking a semi and my lane was disappearing to the angling cones. So I prodded the gas and headed around him. Trouble was when I got up near the front of him there was another semi with a car between them leaving me no room to get in.

I had a split second to decide, accelerate and maybe not make it or step on the brakes and maybe not make it. Being young and dumb I mashed the gas. When the two secondary carbs kicked in it was like a giant had reached down and flung the car forward. We accelerated and squeezed by the second semi as my lane disappeared. whew! All I had to do was stop and clean out my shorts.!

Yeah, a 406 FE with three twos can move!

Good story Tom. Those moments from our youthful mis-adventures stay with us forever.

Nelson Mandela

OK the rest of the story. We were headed west on the brand new still under construction I 465 on the south side of Indy. My buddy was asleep in the back, it was dark thirty something and I was driving an unfamiliar car that handled approximately like a coal barge but could really accelerate.

So I was in the fast lane overtaking a semi and my lane was disappearing to the angling cones. So I prodded the gas and headed around him. Trouble was when I got up near the front of him there was another semi with a car between them leaving me no room to get in.

I had a split second to decide, accelerate and maybe not make it or step on the brakes and maybe not make it. Being young and dumb I mashed the gas. When the two secondary carbs kicked in it was like a giant had reached down and flung the car forward. We accelerated and squeezed by the second semi as my lane disappeared. whew! All I had to do was stop and clean out my shorts.!

Yeah, a 406 FE with three twos can move!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    Good story Tom. Those moments from our youthful mis-adventures stay with us forever.
    And if we are lucky we live through them and hopefully learn from them.

Banned Funding Member
    I can remember a number of times I was just dumb lucky to survive!

Well Tom, you are doing better than WaffleHead. He doesn't remember what he did.

I've thought several times how fortunate I was to have lived past 21.

Nelson Mandela

It's taken well over a year but I finally finished up buffing out the last of my Buddies 63 Galaxie trim. It's been a long journey and much-o work. The parts I just finished include the grill and are the second photo. I still have to seal it with shark hide and paint the black trim areas on the headlight buckets and edges of the grill panel. The other photos are parts I've finished over the last 8 months or so and are now on the car. Just realized a lot of these pictures were before I did the black detail strips on the side trim and the fish gill side emblems.

IMG_5141.jpgIMG_5206.jpgIMG_5144.jpgIMG_5145.jpg IMG_5143.jpg
    Last edited by DanEC; 08-16-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Nelson Mandela

Here are some photos of the car so far. He's trying to get it ready for a show in mid-Sept but I have my doubts. He's a hard working 80-yr old though.

IMG_0188.jpgIMG_0187.jpgIMG_0189.jpg1.jpgIMG_0166.jpg

Sorry for the computer file photos - not using a photo server currently.

Nelson Mandela

Looking good.