Thread: Seat Track for SPF

Seat Track for SPF

Gang,

My son just bought a Superformance Cobra. The original owner secured the seat to the floor.

Anyone have a seat track for an SPF or a suggestion on an aftermarket that would fit?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Grice
    Great Lakes Cobra Club
    http://greatlakescobraclub.com/

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Jeff,

Does it have the regular Superformance seats or did the original owner switch them for some other brand seat? Dean or John will most likely be able to help you with this.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Jeff, he could do the exact opposite of what I did. When I acquired mine, the seat track was on the driver's side and the passenger side was bolted to the floor. I needed more legroom so I fabbed a bracket using mild steel strap and bolted the driver's side to the floorboard with more tilt and all the way back (perfect for my 6'3", 205 lb frame). Then I installed the SPF seat track to the passenger side so any riders had more adjustability.

In over 15 years of ownership I have rarely, if ever, seen an SPF seat track come up for sale somewhere. Otherwise you have to call Hillbank (CA) or Time Machines Motorsports (NY) and see what they have on the shelf.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Jeff,

Does it have the regular Superformance seats or did the original owner switch them for some other brand seat? Dean or John will most likely be able to help you with this.

Ron
    Hi Ron,

It is the factory seat bolted to the floor

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Grice
    Great Lakes Cobra Club

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    Jeff, he could do the exact opposite of what I did. When I acquired mine, the seat track was on the driver's side and the passenger side was bolted to the floor. I needed more legroom so I fabbed a bracket using mild steel strap and bolted the driver's side to the floorboard with more tilt and all the way back (perfect for my 6'3", 205 lb frame). Then I installed the SPF seat track to the passenger side so any riders had more adjustability.

In over 15 years of ownership I have rarely, if ever, seen an SPF seat track come up for sale somewhere. Otherwise you have to call Hillbank (CA) or Time Machines Motorsports (NY) and see what they have on the shelf.
    Hey Dean

I know it is a long shot. Hillbank wants 799 plus shipping. I did contact Time Machines and they didn’t have one.

Thanks!

Jeff
    Jeff Grice
    Great Lakes Cobra Club

Perhaps something like this fits and can be bought in the US of A:

https://www.europaspares.com/catalog...?q=seat+runner

GBP 40

Most english car had them.
    no signature

Senior Member Funding Member
    Speedway sells seat adjustable tracks that might work.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Sorry Jeff, I'm no help on this one.

Seat Track Frozen

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
    Gang,

My son just bought a Superformance Cobra. The original owner secured the seat to the floor.

Anyone have a seat track for an SPF or a suggestion on an aftermarket that would fit?

Thanks

Jeff
    Well I have an SPF seat track on the car I just bought, but it is not much use - it seems to be frozen, almost like it is rusted (but there is no sign of rust anywhere on the car - it spent its life so far as I can tell, in the Southwest, although it did spend some time in the rainy Northwest). Anyway it is almost impossible to slide, even after copious amounts of WD-40. I guess I have to keep working it, cause I need the seat all the way back for my legs, but still want to put the driver's side tonneau cover behind the seat. Someday I may want to take the seat off and grease the tracks. Is this difficult?

It's only four bolts Bud.

So simple even a Silverback can do it.

I took mine out a number of times.

Bud, I think you are on the right track (no pun intended). If you can't get it freed up and least you can compare it to what is on the market. I bought one from Speedway for my Hurricane and didn't use it so gave it to a friend and he used it on his Factory Five. I think they are pretty standard. My Hurricane had 4 bolts for the seats and so did his FF.

Bud, just checked Speedway Motors.com and they have several types of seat sliders to pick from.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Bud, you can also slightly loosen those four hold down nuts (from under the car) and that might free-up the rack just enough to operate. A sticking rack can be a PITA until you pull the seat and grease it up. Like Silverback said, even he can do it.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

no idea how it is in a Cobra( floor , supports ? ) , but those universal seat runners can indeed be a PITA to install... done it a few times in my rally cars.
    Had to weld brackets on them ,either inside or outside , to mount on the oem supports , sometimes change the supports as the extra height of the runners was to much.
    I used that double lock system.
    Common problem is to reach the bolts... either for the seats or the runners.
    And once installed , it sure didn't slide "free" by hand , you must really be in the seat and force it with your legs/weight .... but it works

Thanks everyone for the help!

Jeff
    Jeff Grice
    Great Lakes Cobra Club

Jeff,
    Cobra restorers sells the seat adjuster for $64.95. (www.cobrarestorers.com)
    You might want to s check with them. I cannot believe that Hillbank wanted $799 for them. That is totally absurd when you actually see the part.

$799. Was that for the entire seat or just the adjusters?

[QUI am not sure about their pricing. I need a bumper overrides for a show and they quoted me $499. I complained about the pricing and they then quoted $48. It almost seems as though they quote whatever the traffic will bear. I really don’t like dealing with them. Hill the rob bank is the proper name for them��OTE=Silverback;225677]$799. Was that for the entire seat or just the adjusters?[/QUOTE]

Hey Gang

We ended up ordering a seat slider from Backdraft for the SPF. We had a new Backdraft in the shop and measured it up against the mounting for the SPF and it was very close. Our tech was able to install with a few adjustments all for less than $100.

Appreciate the input!

Jeff
    Jeff Grice
    Great Lakes Cobra Club

Glad it worked out for you Jeff and now we have a little more knowledge for the future.