Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front License Plate

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar

Front License Plate

Sometime back someone asked how people fastened their front license plate on a Cobra. I can't find that thread so will start this one. I found this picture on another site and thought it might give you some ideas.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Ron, that was Bud looking for ideas on how to do it. I think it was wrapped up in his welcome to the forum thread.

Thanks John, I hope he notices this thread.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Thanks John, I hope he notices this thread.

Ron
    Ron - I did notice this thread and thank you. I got all the odd bits of hardware at Fleet Farm ("the Man's Store" - all you in the North Woods will recognize the name), and am slowly putting them all together - still a bit cold in the garage. I will post detailed pics when done, to possibly aid others (if it works ).

And you should be ashamed Paul.

However it is a good looking bracket.

Senior Member Funding Member
    I like the fold feature when not required/in use. Typical of Paul to think of that.

That looks nice.. will the bracket fit and mount to a superformance?

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Nice work, Paul. How does it fasten to anything above the cowl? On a Superformance there is nothing but fiberglass in that area. Have to think that some bracket has to come off the radiator surround metalwork.

If I had to wear a front plate in my state, this is the solution I would be seeking.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Administrator Funding Member PaulProe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    . . . How does it fasten to anything above the cowl? On a Superformance there is nothing but fiberglass in that area. Have to think that some bracket has to come off the radiator surround metalwork . . .
    It fastens to the fiberglass - sandwiched between the brackets and hardware. Plenty strong enough - no other bracketry required. I've been running mine for about 6 years now without issue.

Paul

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    Paul,

There is nothing shameless about technical information on a Cobra. We need more of this.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    It fastens to the fiberglass - sandwiched between the brackets and hardware. Plenty strong enough - no other bracketry required. I've been running mine for about 6 years now without issue.

Paul
    I checked your very thorough website (on your builds) but did not see any pics. Knowing how a Superformance is built/configured, there aren’t many places to mount an extended bracket from. And it would have to be truly extended because the only sturdy member aft of the cowl opening is the radiator support. I’m not seeking to replicate because I don’t need a front plate in FL. Just curious how it’s fabbed and mounted. You can PM me if you don’t want to spill the secret sauce. ;-)
    -Dean

I'm going by memory (or lack thereof) but if I remember correctly the opening if you took a cross section of it would be "J" shaped. It is not solid fiberglass so the Paul bracket would mount with the fasteners coming from the opening towards the inside of the "J" and that is where the nuts would be.

Or it is entirely possible that my brain is so pickled from all the beer I consume that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I used this on my Factory Five. It might fit under your turn light http://replicaparts.com/front%20plate%20page.htm

Administrator Funding Member PaulProe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
    . . . Just curious how it’s fabbed and mounted. You can PM me if you don’t want to spill the secret sauce. ;-)
    Dean
    You're making it much too complicated. The plate bracket sandwiches onto the flange of the nose opening. No other additional brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    Dean
    You're making it much too complicated. The plate bracket sandwiches onto the flange of the nose opening. No other additional brackets.
    Got it! Thanks.
    -Dean

I was right.

Time for a victory beer.

Here in Maryland, a front plate is required. Problem is, I never mounted the front plate and can't remember where I stashed it.

George,

Here they require one but I have never heard of anyone getting stopped because of not having one on. I carry mine in the car just in case.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by gmduncan View Post
    Here in Maryland, a front plate is required. Problem is, I never mounted the front plate and can't remember where I stashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    George,

Here they require one but I have never heard of anyone getting stopped because of not having one on. I carry mine in the car just in case.

Ron
    Generally the police are pretty lenient one classic cars. If it was your modern daily driver you would probably get a ticket.