Thread: How to drive Road America by JimPace

Senior Member Funding Member Morris's Avatar

How to drive Road America by JimPace

This is a video that Jim Pace did and it is exactly how it’s done....although he’s in a UOP Shadow.....with 1000 hp.....

The only difference in what I did and Jim is that shit happens much faster in the CanAm car.....and 5he brake markers come up very quick......hope you like it....

Not sure this will work....

https://www.facebook.com/41414849864...6252760104478/

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    The link worked perfect for me Morris.

My humble opinion is that the CanAm series was the best series ever in America.

Every time I watch that video.....I get all excited....and I can’t watch it once......I have to watch it 2 or 3 times.....

What he’s doing is exactly the way I drove RA.....but I could put the power down sooner then he did....because he has 1000 hp....& I only had 750....and an additional 500 lbs.......but he does a nice job of “ Breath....Breath....& Squeeze”.....& “Smooth Smoth.....Go”.....I use to do the same thing.....and you have to be very careful coming into turn 5....cause you go from 4th to 1st under braking.....if you let the clutch out to soon then off track you go.....I use to go straight from 5th gear to 1st gear at both Road America & Road Atlanta......you had to be very careful....but when you do it right.....it’s a great feeling.....and damn fast.....

Just Wow....that’s all I can say......now back to my Cookies & Milk......

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I think that is something that some people miss with all the nanny features on cars now days.

For me personally there was no greater feeling that knowing you were right at the limits of the car and had it on that knife edge.

I always get a kick out of them on the Corvette forum when one of them loses control of the car and then they blame it on the nanny features for not saving their asses.

John

I agree.....my butt computer dictated every move I made......now days even the GT-1 guy’s have all of the automatic features....and their driving is automatic....when you are sliding sideways next to another driver and you both get thru the corner and never touch each other.....that puts a big smile on your face ....especially when you see him later in the day.....it’s a respect for each other that all drivers share.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Great video and narrative, Morris. Thank you for sharing! Iím with John...these cars were the ultimate road racers to watch and hear.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Morris,

That was a great video and the only thing that would have been better was if it had been you in your car. He did a great job of explaining what was going on and like the rest of you, I like the seat of the pants feeling over the computer controlled driving. Thanks for posting this video.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member Shootnride's Avatar
    Great video Morris. Thanks for posting. And, I agree with others here that Can-Am was the best in road racing. I only attended a couple of Can-Am races, but they were sure exciting to watch.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave