Thread: How about it?

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole

Question How about it?

Is anyone else going bug shit crazy staying home for the most part because of this damn virus?

The only place my senior bride will go is to the store for the most part.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Silver same here. Only other place we go is to my son's house and they come over here when the kids and my son get stir crazy with staying home all the time.

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    I went to a cars and coffee this morning (last minute decision). Then, one of the cobra guys there insisted on having lunch so we went to a diner. Wore a mask until getting to our table and the diner had most of the tables out of the seating area so were at least 8 feet from the nearest people. No menus - had to use a smartphone to aim at a QR code to bring up a menu, as they wouldn't deliver any to the table. Salt and pepper were in packets only on request, etc. In other words, they were taking as many precautions as possible.

So, I'm getting out and about and being careful. I have a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the glovebox and I used that when getting back to my car. So much conflicting info out there, but doesn't hurt to be careful. Silver, as for your wife not wanting to go out - everyone has their own risk tolerance, so hard to be critical of that. I suppose if you went out with a friend (I realize that's an invitation for you know who to point out how many friends you have ), your wife might feel threatened since you'd be potentially bringing it back in the house. With all the conflicting info out there, there is no firm answer.

I take my cue from my pharmacist daughter who works in a hospital and has seen it all, including bodies lined up in the hallway because the hospital's morgue was full. Also from her fiance, who is an immunologist. Those who think this is all completely BS, that's understandable due to the media's hype, but it hits people differently and experts haven't figured out all the reasons yet. Playing the odds, it's probably not too risky to go out to selected places where you can keep your distance and use hand sanitizer before touching your face once you've touched doors, chairs, or anything that someone else may have touched. Going to a crowded beach or other place where people are close together - with or without masks - is asking for it. Even if it isn't deadly for you, unless you're one of the lucky ones who only get mild symptoms, it's a nasty experience, so one that I hope to avoid. So, I take reasonable precautions and get on with it.

Kevin

same here Silver, for 4...5 months. They eased the restrictions a month ago and we are now in the same BS again....damned virus , more severe then anybody thought ! No rallies so far and all postponed till now ,also again cancelled. But i understand. Let us forget 2020.....and keep safe !!

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Watch out for that hand sanitizer - there's a massive recall of about 100 brands now of the stuff - all coming from Mexico as far as my wife was able to determine. The stuff is made with methanol which is toxic. We found that is what we have been using for the last several weeks. From experience I can tell you its some of the worse smelling crap you can imagine. So if you have any that just smells like a chemistry lab after an experiment gone horribly wrong, I would get rid of it. The stuff we have was from Kroger and was clearly on the list being recalled but didn't mention on the container that it was from Mexico - it just said distributed by some place in TX. Apparently that is not unusual - some say made in Mexico and some just say distributed somewhere in the US with no mention of origin.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/5562366002/

We are sitting pretty tight and getting tired of not being able or wanting to risk going to our favorite restaurants. My wife goes grocery shopping and occasionally goes to Barnes and Nobel to meet a friend for coffee. I venture out to Lowes/HD now and then for material for my about home projects. Some car buddies and I meet at a hamburger joint every Saturday and sit outside in the heat, shoot the breeze and down a hamburger. That's about it. It is getting old and I'm old enough to regret that I may lose a whole year or more of my retirement years to this BS. I can't imagine how my 95 year old Dad feels who still loves to socialize. I'm beginning to worry that we may never get a chance to visit him in person again as the thought of an airplane flight just freaks us out.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    I just completed an over and back from Atlantic coastal Florida to Austin, TX (visiting son and grandson). All driving NON-STOP (18.5 hours each way, which also included half dozen stops for fuel/food/bathroom...usually combined to save time). Had to return after only two days there so that we could prep for Hurricane Esiasas. !!!!!

Most truck stops were full and well prepped/clean. All places required masks to enter (it didn’t matter which state...FL, AL, MS, LA, TX). We couldn’t really go anywhere in Austin because that city shut everything down. This Chinese virus really sucks...hope someone pays for all this someday.
    Last edited by RedBarchetta; 08-01-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

Thanks guys.

Well Dean I sure look at anything I need to buy to see if it was made in China. If so, I will look elsewhere or go without.

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    We're mostly limiting our trips to just the grocery store, Lowe's and Home Depot. Still getting settled in a new house necessitates those trips. We've also found a Mexican restaurant that we like and feel relatively safe in. They require masks to enter and you have to keep them on until food or drinks are served. They're only using about 1/3 of their tables. All the staff is wearing masks. No menu, you have to scan a QR code with your phone to get the menu. We've been there a few times just to feel some sense of normality.

Senior Member Funding Member
    I saw the hand sanitizer issue and looked at what we had and sure enough it was on the list and made in Mexico. Couldn't remember where we got it but the next day I got a letter from Sam's Club saying I had bought it there and to throw it away and they would refund the purchase price.

Senior Member Funding Member Morris's Avatar
    Since I got into that hand sanitizer business.... I decided to go the High Quality Road......and it has paid off especially since all of this recall of the various sanitizers......btw....those guy’s that tried to make a fast buck....$500,000.00 dollars for the cheap hand sanitizer.....are not getting their money back.....
    I learned a long time ago....you don’t have to make excuses for Quality......we just did a deal with Ace Hardware in North Chicago....and they had a bunch of that bad stuff.l...when you are FDA registered....& ... UL did my MSDS sheets and information....now they are starting to come around......The Best part was I enjoyed getting back out and making Cold call on various accounts....and have my fingers crossed on some other large accounts.....

But be very careful....a lot of the others or using all kind of stuff and covering it up with Ethanol....and their concentration of required Alcohol be it Isopropyl or Ethanol....is not where it should based on FDA & WHO....FDA up graded their requirements to 75% with Isopropyl Alcohol ....and 80% if using Ethanol......Be Safe and let me know if you have any questions....I’ve learned more then I ever wanted to know....

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    I am sick and tired of staying home and if this darn heat ever lets up I will go for a drive in the mountains where there won't be anyone around me. I go to the post office once a week and to the store when I have to but try to avoid being anywhere near a group of those fools who aren't wearing masks and are talking about what a hoax this virus is. And Shasta County is now becoming overran with it because of that kind of shit and some of the churches having big parties and claiming that God never meant people to wear masks. What they are actually saying is that the Pastors are missing all of that tax free money they are used to raking in. And one church group now has over 50 members that have tested positive for the virus and some of them are in critical condition. Until this it doesn't affect me crap started we never had many cases in this county and now we have more deaths per week than we used to have cases.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    A long drive from Arkansas to Colorado is an option but with sciatic issues about 300 miles a day is probably our limit any more and the thought of staying a couple nights in those road side hotels on the Oklahoma or Kansas plains is our second biggest fear after flying. I hated staying in places 20 years ago.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

We are goin back an forth from NH to Ma. Most restaurants are open with restrictions. Wear a mask in but then ya can take it off. Traffic is def getting back to usual ! Have to do Boston tomorrow so Ill see how it is goin into the "big city".

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Grumpy,

We seem to have no common way they operate here. Some of them you go into and order then you have to go outside to eat or take it home to eat. Others they are operating as usual. order and eat inside and no masks. And others only take phone in orders and will bring it out to your car when you get there and you have to leave their parking lots to eat.

Ron

MY ALBUMS