Thread: Solo cross-country run in under 26 hours!

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar

Solo cross-country run in under 26 hours!

Great article and how the guy did it! Hilarious!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...7290ZxRXbEp4GQ
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Well with the extra tanks and gas that probably added approximately 800+ pounds to the car. It probably handled like a pig when it was near full.

Since it was a rental I wonder how he explained the lack of seats when he turned it back in.

I did a lot, actually more than I want to remember trips to Seattle from Prescott which is a little over 1500 miles. My quickest trip was 20 hours and I was by myself. When my senior bride was with me it took closer to 24 due to added stops for bathrooms and to eat.

We are tentatively planning on going up there again in September and this time it will be broken into 3 days. I'm too old for those non-stop trips anymore.

we did a lot of trips for years to the boat in South France .... 750 miles. That was just enough for me , boring highway miles. Took us average 11 hours. Years ago we could go faster, but nowadays it's impossible with al those speed controls . And if caught , they hold you for papers,papers,papers... so you loose easy half a hour . And money.

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Since it was a rental I wonder how he explained the lack of seats when he turned it back in.
    It sounds like he drove it back across the country before turning it in. Must have reinstalled the seats then.

Thanks Al, I missed that.

crazy guy , i wonder what drugs he took to keep awake.

There were a couple times where I worked 36 hours straight. But I was only in my late 50's the last time.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Once while in college I had 5 tough finals in three days so stayed up for the three days studying and taking th finals. Went downtown to the pub after the last one and then went home thinking I would pass out and sleep for three days. Funny thing was I had a hard time falling asleep and woke up the next morning at 7 AM and couldn't go back to sleep. Go figure.

What makes this run so amazing was his low-buck approach. He had prior experiences doing this with other guys, but had never solo'd like this before. I thought his plan was crude but ingenious, and having the friends ready to rendezvous with him (to add a 150 gallon fill-up) was better planning than trying to find a gas station. AND he got held up something like 25 minutes at the CA border agri check! This guy is a maniac...a fun maniac.
    -Dean

As before, I love it how the "organizers" (there aren't any) and other governing bodies (are there any?) call the recent attempts invalid!
    It's an illegal race - duh!

lol :-)

Can you actually swap cars, like the Pony Express riders changed horses?

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    When I was in college I drove all the way back to Arkansas which was around 1,500 miles and I only stopped for gas and once to eat. Lots younger then and didn't mind driving. As for working long shifts I once had a 44 hour straight shift when we had a major computer crash and they brought me drinks and food so I wouldn't stop. Then I got to sleep on the plane coming back out here before the next crisis. The 44 hours I know is correct because my attorney subpoenaed my work records when I had the break down and they had it all documented along with what a great job I did.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    As before, I love it how the "organizers" (there aren't any) and other governing bodies (are there any?) call the recent attempts invalid!
    It's an illegal race - duh!

lol :-)

Can you actually swap cars, like the Pony Express riders changed horses?
    There is no honor among thieves (nor lawbreakers). And you can’t swap vehicles (at least the unofficial rules state so).
    -Dean

Senior Member Funding Member
    When I read the story the photo he took of the dash with the Portifino Inn out the windshield you could see the last time the Cruise control was set was at 120 mph.

Brilliant...! Reminds me of the few times I drove thirteen hours straight from Annapolis, MD to Fort Lauderdale. Shaved off about two hours each time by doing a little above the speed limit.