Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AVON tires on Cobras ?

AVON tires on Cobras ?

I've seen a couple of original Cobras that had AVON's on them. When and why weren't they GOOD YEAR billboards, if they were raced overseas ?

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Hmmm - could I ask you to re-state the question. I haven’t had any coffee yet and it’s not fully processing.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    I would doubt any of the original cars have their original tires.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    From what I’ve read, the “Billboards on a Cobra” became more of a phenomenon in the 70’s and 80’s when the cars were tracked. Racers would buy a set for the weekend, wear them out and pretty much leave them at the track thereafter. The fact that they look so “right” on these cars has led to their popularity to this day. Unfortunately with such a niche market, GY hasn’t stepped up to make a comparable radial to compete with Avon. I’d buy them in a heartbeat if they did.

All earlier Cobra racing pics that I have seen have them wearing GY blue streaks.

I’m seriously considering going with some form of radial on my next set, but use a quality stencil and spray the lettering. I’ve had two sets of Billboards and they just don’t last and the first mile can shake your fillings out. The Avons are crazy expensive and tend to be “greasy”, so they may not hold paint too well. Decisions, decisions....
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

I did not mean that they had their original tires on, but have new Avon tires. They could have bought them this morning.
    Sorry for the confusion.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    Hmmm - could I ask you to re-state the question. I haven’t had any coffee yet and it’s not fully processing.
    Don't feel bad Dan, I did not even understand the purpose of the question.

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    It seems Cobra guys either love or hate billboards. Doesn’t seem to be much middle ground.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

I have posted this before, but I will do it again.

When I bought my Cobra it had GoodYear GTII's on it. To me they were not only worthless, they were dangerous. There was no warning at you approached the limit.

I bought my Cobra in September and by the next spring I had the BB's on it. I loved them and at least to me the flat spotting issues that Dean mentioned were not that bad.

We were planning a month long vacation in the Cobra and I really thought I should replace the BB's with some DOT approved tires. So after doing my research I bought the AVON tires. The AVON tires were also great. I think the limits were slightly lower than the BB's, but both tires would let you know as you were approaching the limits and did not all of a sudden break away like the GTII's did.

If I had not gotten rid of my Cobra there was another set of BB's in its future.

I should also mention that the BB's were 50 pounds lighter than the AVON tires for the set of four. And that was all unsprung weight.

Wow, 50lbs ? !

I've also spoke about the BB's before. I have a set that I was given to me after one of my group buys. Their still sitting in the garage tire rack after 15 yrs. Might use them for man cave tables.....lol

I have Eagle ll's on the Cobra, that are hard as a rock, not good for traction,which I need to replace when I get the new engine installed. I'm looking at the Pro-Street Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro. I had them on my Pro-Street Camaro many years ago and loved them. Their not a radial, but they never did much walking, so maybe they'll be ok on the Cobra as it weighs like half of the Camaro ?

Love the look and I may buy the Rubber letters spelling GOODYEAR EAGLE for them.

Last edited by 427HISS; 05-16-2020 at 02:35 PM.

The sidewalls were considerably thinner which probably accounts for them not being DOT approved. And the tread area was also thinner. After all, you don't want too much heat build up in a race tire as I'm assuming you know.

Yes, too hot and they'll seal over, turn green and turn hard. Same with our sprint car tires.

The information says, ''Widest D.O.T. approved street legal high tire''.
    Last edited by 427HISS; 05-16-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Owners of originals may choose to run Avons, rather then the Goodyear Eagles. Simple as that. There are no set rules..

The Avons with the large lettering, actually look pretty good on the roadster. The Hoosiers do as well, but I'm not sure if they are DOT approved.
    Still, there's no doubt the Goodyear BB's look pretty darn sweet on our cars. But are they worth chancing an accident, and have the insurance company reject your claim, as your tires weren't DOT approved?
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Still, there's no doubt the Goodyear BB's look pretty darn sweet on our cars. But are they worth chancing an accident, and have the insurance company reject your claim, as your tires weren't DOT approved?
    In over 15 years of Cobra ownership, I've yet to read or hear of one story where an owner running BB's got either cited, fined or lost an accident claim because of those tires. WHO actually looks at the sidewall of a tire in any accident claim and looks for that lettering on a BB that says "Not for Highway Use"? All I'm saying is that it may be enforceable but rarely (if ever) is.

And, yes I agree that the Avons actually look good on roadsters.
    -Dean

As stated, the reason the BB's are not DOT approved is the thin carcass. It will not hold up to being curbed either on the sidewall or the tread.

When I got stopped for speeding in the Viper the cop got down on his knees to look at the date code to see if they were the original tires, which in that case would have been around 14 years old. I explained to him that I got rid of the original tires when I bought the car because they were hard, noisy, and I did not trust them. He was satisfied.

So depending on the cop, it is possible that they may look at the tires.

Interesting.
    -Dean

In BC, the insurance company is owned by the gov't, and they try anything to get out of paying out a claim.
    Fast at any speed-Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Owners of originals may choose to run Avons, rather then the Goodyear Eagles. Simple as that. There are no set rules..

The Avons with the large lettering, actually look pretty good on the roadster. The Hoosiers do as well, but I'm not sure if they are DOT approved.
    I agree that the BB look awesome, just with they a were better tire, and in a radial. The AVON are 2nd. How are their cr6zz tires ?

http://rogerkrausracing.com/pdfprici...6ZZ%202020.pdf

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz

Won't matter much anyway, as 500 bucks ea. won't be happening.
    Last edited by 427HISS; 05-17-2020 at 11:38 AM.

I think I already answered that one.

Senior Member Funding Member Al G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    As stated, the reason the BB's are not DOT approved is the thin carcass. It will not hold up to being curbed either on the sidewall or the tread.

When I got stopped for speeding in the Viper the cop got down on his knees to look at the date code to see if they were the original tires, which in that case would have been around 14 years old. I explained to him that I got rid of the original tires when I bought the car because they were hard, noisy, and I did not trust them. He was satisfied.

So depending on the cop, it is possible that they may look at the tires.
    Can you be cited for old tires? That would surprise me, especially in a state that doesn't have a safety inspection.

I'm actually not sure on that one Al. I think that since he got me on radar at 90+ he was checking to see if the tires were safe.

But the more I think about it, the more I would doubt it. To my knowledge I have never read anything that says do not use these tires after a specific date. So how could they justify issuing a citation for old tires.

If I remember correctly I think he was still trying to decide to give me a ticket or not.