Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling car on the internet - things have changed

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar

Selling car on the internet - things have changed

I havenít sold a car individually for 17 years. Traded in a couple of times with the usual beating. But, I listed my low mileage Lightning on Autotrader.com and having a little trouble getting used to it. It used to be that I would place a classified ad in the paper and include a phone number and wait for someone who is interested to call me to ask questions, arrange to see it, etc.

Now the routine appears to be that they respond by email to the ad, say they are interested, list a phone number and apparently expect me to call them and hunt them down to see if they have any questions. Seems backwards especially when the want a call in the evening and they are on the west coast 2 time zones removed from me. I guess Autotrader believes not listing the sellers phone number is their way of shielding you from internet tire kicker trolls. Iím definitely seen a few of them respond.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    Watch out for scams. A common one is they’ll ask for a carfax and give you “their preferred, trusted site”. In reality, it steals your credit card info.

Good luck selling.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Made a note of that.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    I was thinking of selling my Viper on Autotrader and the more I though of it the more I just decided to trade it in. Yes, I lost money but did not have to put up with the rest of the bullshit of selling it myself.

The other option I considered was putting it on a lot for consignment but I would have had to drive it down to Phoenix and my senior bride did not want to drive down there in the other car to pick me up.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Just sold my car on Bring A Trailer which is an online auction site. As it turned out it was a good experience. I don't know how Autotrader works but on BAT people can ask questions and comment on line. This can be good and bad. BAT tells you to play nice as you will get people who are not bidding but will nit pick and offer comments as self proclaimed "experts". I did get some of that as well. Example--SB vs BB their views on that subject. Not much was happening during the days up to the last day and then things picked up at 4PM on closing day. Bid was closing at 4:15 pm. Then the bidding war started. One good thing about BAT is that they don't shut down bidding if there is active bidding at the closing time. They add 2 minute increments until the bidding finally stops.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Which car did you sell on BaT? I love that site and go there/comment pretty much every day.

BaT can be very successful but you have to be a lot more prepared.

- post a minimum of 50-60 pictures, including the under carriage. Most successful auctions have at least 100.
    - post videos. A walk around and an idle video are very important and powerful. A driving video is also great, depending on the vehicle’s age, sound, etc.
    - know the vehicle history (ownership, lineage, options, etc.). More than likely someone will chime in that knows more about your car/truck than you do.
    - if your vehicle has some warts (scratches/small dings/paint chips or worn interior parts), call them out. Honest representations receive high marks there and people respect this.
    - be engaging and follow up to all questions quickly. It’s a very engaging experience for buyer and seller.
    - have some thick skin. A fair amount of trolls, though the site is self-policed quite well.

My observations of BaT over several years (since its inception) is that well-photographed and documented cars sell for above market prices. Just make sure that BaT management provides you a fair/honest reserve. Most of the no reserve auctions that I have followed tend to sell slightly below market, which is another reason why some sellers purposely place no reserve in an attempt to get more action.

Good luck!
    Last edited by RedBarchetta; 03-27-2020 at 03:35 AM.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

I seem to have a very interested buyer out of Chicago who wants to travel down today. Problem is my title is in a safety deposit box and our bank lobbies are closed up. He's in Chicago which I understand is virtually locked down and we agreed cash would be the best way to handle a transaction. I suspect he may find his banks are closed up except for drive through also. We are both going to the bank at 9:00 to see if they will let us in to do our business. If not I guess this whole thing will be on hold for awhile.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Dan,

Will your bank have any personnel working that you could take your lock box key and hand them through the drive through window and let them get your title for you? I believe that my bank will do that here. You could call them first and ask if they do anything like that.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Beware of the "I pay via paypal and send my truck driver to fetch". Once they have the car, they claim they never got the item and get their money back from paypal.
    Look for automotive check deposit or paypal scams.

What gets to me are mail or sms replies to my ads: "lowest price?" If I am in the mood, I send: "50% off. if you can be here in 1 hour..." Based on a potential quick response: "where?" I send: "57 minutes left..." Earns me bad seller ratings 100% of the time.

But: what is the best way to sell a car nowadays?

Silverback - I agree just trading in is sort of an attractive approach but boy they sure low ball you on trade in and between trying to reach a deal on discount on a new vehicle price and equating what they will give in trade sometimes gets sort of confusing. What ever you concentrate on they go to the other side just to keep you off balance. My problem is this is basically a 17 year old truck but as a low mileage Lightning in excellent condition, I see similar cars being listed on used car dealerships for in the 30s, maybe even a few in the low 40s. That's crazy but even the used car guides put a private sell value on them up in the mid to high 20s. I just can't see a dealer offering me a decent trade in value on what they will argue is a 17 year old used Ford truck.

Man, after 17 years I'm also having some trouble letting her go, but I really need some sort of a more practical daily driver - not exactly a beater - but something I'm not worried about getting out in the weather and leaving in a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Beware of the "I pay via paypal and send my truck driver to fetch". Once they have the car, they claim they never got the item and get their money back from paypal.
    Look for automotive check deposit or paypal scams.

What gets to me are mail or sms replies to my ads: "lowest price?" If I am in the mood, I send: "50% off. if you can be here in 1 hour..." Based on a potential quick response: "where?" I send: "57 minutes left..." Earns me bad seller ratings 100% of the time.

But: what is the best way to sell a car nowadays?
    Yeah - I had one of those - the only question was what's your lowest price? - I think it was a dealer. Considering the banking limitations right now it looks like hard cash is about the only practical payment means as there's no practical way to do a direct Bank transfer or confirm a certified check.

Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    I offer to family first before i need it gone. Son bought my last truck 18 months ago. Paid it off last month (yea, I financed it for him) On the up side, the dealer didn't get it.

Dean
    You made mention to make sure "BaT gives you a fair/honest reserve" do they determine the reserve?

BringaTrailer will tell you if they think your reserve is too high and insist on a lower one before listing, but that can be negotiable if there's not much difference. I have bought and sold several vehicles there and always had a good experience.

Dean, your summary of BAT is spot on. I sold my Cobra on BAT. They initially tried to get me to set my reserve lower, but I was not willing to do that so they accepted my reserve. Overall I was satisfied with the process and the result.

The guy in Chicago and I seem to have gotten all our banking business accomplished and he is headed this way supposedly with cash. I can't see how he could be disappointed in the truck as it is virtually perfect but he is a General Manager for a group of three new car dealers so he may try a last minute price cut. if it doesn't happen I may consider giving BaT a try.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Stand your ground, Dan! Have a bottom line offer set in your head and don't give in. He's done all the traveling...YOU have the leverage.

Good luck!
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Thanks Dean. Been scurrying around pulling all the booklets, SUV extras, spare parts, service records, etc together. Already getting sellers remorse.

Cash or electronic funds transfer only.

I think cash is the best bet right now - have you tried to get inside a bank lately? Our lobbies are all closed. Had to beg the drive up teller to let me in to access my safety deposit box. Trying to confirm a bank transfer or certified cashiers check is probably a highly unlikely endeavor right now.