Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed Carry options

Senior Member Funding Member
    Recently, with all the crazies out there, I have considered purchasing a hand gun. I qualified with the 45 while in the Navy, but haven't fired a hand gun since. I didn't like the 45. Too much kick. I see from above there are a lot of 45 fans, but I think it still is not something for me. My brother in law is a retired Navy SEAL and he suggested a SW 38 revolver. I looked at the SW 38 at a local sports store. They showed me several. One even had a laser site on it. Thoughts and/or other suggestions?

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    If you are trying to avoid recoil I would not get an aluminum airweight. They are so light that a 38 +P load is pretty stout in one. But if you don't intend to do a lot of shooting and just want something you can carry comfortably then a lot of people like them. I don't like the shrouded hammer snub nose 38s as I like the option of being able to shoot single action. But again, if primarily for a self defense weapon at close range, you probably won't be firing single action anyway. They are generally 5 rounds.

I bought my wife a Performance Center 60-15 (.357) with SS construction, 3" bbl, 5 rounds and target sights but it's not as concealable as a 2" snub nose. It has a bit more heft and better sights which makes it more comfortable for practice - but not as concealable and light to carry. I bought it for her thinking it was more of something she would practice shoot with some and recoil wouldn't be too bad - but that hasn't exactly worked out as planned.

A laser sight is a great feature as long as it's slim line (built into the grips usually) and not something that can hang up on clothing.

Again - I'm no expert - just a random opinion.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Senior Member Funding Member
    Magnolia TX, Between the meth heads and the snotty exurb
    If your good with a full size semi auto, I have a Beretta 9 MM I think it's a 92Fs or something. Sweet shooting gun, matte stainless and in 1000 rounds or so never once missfed or jambed. It's heavy enough that recoil is a non issue. It's my wife's favorite. She also has a mid sized Walter 9 MM, one of the newer plastic guns. I just don't like the newer plastic minecraft block guns. I love my stainless 1911 bobtail commander.

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    I don't know if our local in-door range is typical but they have a wide range of store guns you can rent to shoot. They will let you fire as many of them under one rental as you want - only restriction is you have to buy their commercial ammo. But I think they have a deal where you can buy as few as 10 rounds of a particular caliber. The price is very reasonable.

Again - don't know how typical that is around the country but it might be something to check into as it's an option for actually live firing several guns to try them out.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Senior Member Funding Member RedBarchetta's Avatar
    Great tip, Dan! I’m going to look into that.
    -Dean

"...tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

Senior Member Funding Member Shootnride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    I don't know if our local in-door range is typical but they have a wide range of store guns you can rent to shoot. They will let you fire as many of them under one rental as you want - only restriction is you have to buy their commercial ammo. But I think they have a deal where you can buy as few as 10 rounds of a particular caliber. The price is very reasonable.

Again - don't know how typical that is around the country but it might be something to check into as it's an option for actually live firing several guns to try them out.
    There are a couple of indoor ranges near me that also rent and sell firearms. And, as Dan said, you do have to use ammunition purchased in their facility.

Ted
    Some people raise the IQ in the room when they enter.......others when they leave

I think most range rentals are going to be on the longer barrel type with larger frames, typically for used target practice or a larger styled concealable. Smaller styles (what I thing you're looking for) are going to be harder to find as far as being a rental. If you're ever over in SW Florida I'll let you try my Pocketlite.