Thread: New member snakeeyes

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar

New member snakeeyes

Please welcome our newest member, snakeeyes (Bob). Here's what he had to say:

I’m a longtime car guy who has been into Cobras since my then-sister-in-law, who worked part-time as a book editor, was given the task of helping finalize Wallace Wyss’s “Shelby’s Wildlife” book back in the 1970s. I started looking at the page proofs sitting around our house, was captivated by the Cobra pictures, and began asking my older brother questions. I’ve loved them ever since.

I bought an ERA kit (#424) in ’94 and it gathered dust in my garage for a few years, waiting for me to have time and money to finish it. When the Club Cobra website started up I was one of the early members, and I soon stumbled across a classified ad there for a guy with a finished ERA who wanted to trade for an unfinished one (plus cash, of course). I trailered my kit to Virginia, loaded his finished one on my trailer, and headed home. I had that car (ERA 329) for a few years, then found a gorgeous JCF slabside for sale (also on Club Cobra). I sold the ERA to a local friend of a friend (also from Club Cobra…see the theme developing here?) and bought the JCF. Around the same time I acquired a gorgeous GTD GT40 replica (from a friend I made on Club Cobra, of course), so my shop had started to look like a scaled-down version of Shelby American.

As my kids got closer to college I sold both the JCF and the GT40 and was Cobra-less for about ten years. Last year I decided I needed to scratch the itch again and bought this Hi-Tech. It reminds me a lot of my old ERA in how solid it feels and how it drives. It has a Shaver Racing-built 420 Windsor, dynoed at around 560 hp/570 ft-lbs., and weighs just over 2,400 pounds, so it’s quick enough to be a lot of fun.

I appreciate your work in running the talkcobra forum. I’m sure it’s time-consuming but forums can be such valuable resources. Through Club Cobra I’ve obviously found an outlet for buying and selling cars, but more importantly I’ve made many, many good friends and stumbled into some incredible experiences. As I mentioned on the phone I became friends with Phil Remington late in his life, and not only spent time with him at places like Elkhart Lake and Laguna Seca but also got to meet other luminaries through him, such as Dan and Evi Gurney, Sir John Whitmore, Bob Bondurant, and even Shelby himself. Another Club Cobra friend, who knew of an obsession I’ve had for decades with Ken Miles’ CSX2196 “Flip Top” Cobra, arranged for me to meet the then-owner of the car at Monterey one year. That gentleman was generous enough to invite me to drive it around the paddock to warm it up before its race. You could’ve knocked me over with the proverbial feather.

Anyhow, enough about me. Thanks again—

Bob, it was great speaking with you on the phone and thanks for taking the time to write the above - awesome story and I'm sure you'll get some questions from the members.

Enjoy the site.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. Just another refugee from Club Cobra, LOL. It’s nice to have a place to call home again—

Bob

GROUCHY FUC***G OLD APE Funding Member Silverback's Avatar
    Prescott AZ. Far from the Festering Crap Hole
    Welcome to a great site Bob.

Did Kevin warn you about Nomad?????

Administrator Funding Member Kevins's Avatar
    No, but I meant to warn him about you.

Dammit Kevin, I hate it when you state things I can't argue with.

Nomad is famous...I’m just wondering how I can get one of those pens.

Administrator Funding Member Ron77's Avatar
    Bob,

Welcome to them site and you have had some great cars and know some awesome people. That had to be a thrill driving his cobra around the track to warm it up. I am looking for more stories and pictures from you. Jay Nordstrom was a good friend of mine and I miss him very much. The annual Texas Cobra Club get together has really turned into a great event.

Ron

MY ALBUMS

Moderator Funding Member James Stern's Avatar
    Bob,

Welcome to the site. In one way or another we are all "refugees" from club Cobra. What a wonderful set of experiences you have had. When you have the time you should share (in depth) those experiences.
    The one line never heard in Heaven "Gee! I wish I had spent a little more time in the office."

Senior Member Funding Member DanEC's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have had some nice Cobras over the years.
    I'm now a deplorable terrorist according to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors - and proud of it and my membership in NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    Nomad is famous...I’m just wondering how I can get one of those pens.
    Have you seen one of the pens?

https://www.talkcobra.com/showthread...mad-Pen-Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by Ron77 View Post
    Bob,

Welcome to them site and you have had some great cars and know some awesome people. That had to be a thrill driving his cobra around the track to warm it up. I am looking for more stories and pictures from you. Jay Nordstrom was a good friend of mine and I miss him very much. The annual Texas Cobra Club get together has really turned into a great event.

Ron
    Ron, thanks. The Cobra community has enriched my life immeasurably. I feel sorry for people who have no interests outside of work; they're missing out on so much.

Jay was such a great guy. He was one of the first people I got to know through the TCC and he treated me like a lifelong friend even though he didn't know me from Adam. He was one of those rare people who was not only quick to offer help but would actually go out of his way to do so, even for people he had just met. He could also work magic; I knew him to do little favors for car friends like conjuring up state inspection stickers for vehicles that had no drivetrain and had never turned a wheel under their own power, just to ease the registration process when they finally were completed. He could also put away the hard stuff like few people I've ever known, which automatically made him OK in my book. I wonder what happened to that crazy-ass twin-engine car he raced at Run n' Gun. That thing was sort of the automotive version of Jay--loud, crazy, one-of-a-kind, and loveable.

One of my saddest car-related moments was coming back to the hobby after several years away, getting on to Club Cobra, and immediately seeing the sticky advising of his death several years ago. That was a shocker--Jay was one of those people who lived life on his own terms, and I always imagined he'd only leave us when he decided he had done all he needed to do and was good and ready to go. Plus I figured he'd go out in spectacular style--wrestling a family of grizzly bears or rescuing a clutch of orphans from a burning building.

I miss him, in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stern View Post
    Bob,

Welcome to the site. In one way or another we are all "refugees" from club Cobra. What a wonderful set of experiences you have had. When you have the time you should share (in depth) those experiences.
    Thanks, James. It's good to see some familiar usernames here. I'm always happy to share stories. I wrote about my encounter with the Ken Miles Flip Top not long after it happened, thinking maybe one of the car mags would be interested in it. It must not have been very good because I never heard back from any of them, LOL. I'll see if I can dig that up and bore everyone by posting it.

I like your signature, BTW. I started tracking motorcycles a couple of years ago, which has spurred a whole litany of "Aren't you scared you're going to kill yourself?"-type questions from people I know. My standard response is to paraphrase Gus Macrae from the great novel (and equally-great miniseries) Lonesome Dove; "It ain't about dying; it's about living."

Quote Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have had some nice Cobras over the years.
    Thanks, Dan. I've been a lucky boy, yes. I miss the JCF slabside I had; that was before some of the bigger replica manufacturers started offering slabside kits, and it was the only Cobra replica I've had that people didn't start out assuming was a kit. Unfortunately the driving experience wasn't quite up to the looks, and I drive my cars too much to put up with that for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Oh, hell yes. I want one for the shock value of casually pulling it out and laying it on the table during a business meeting with a bunch of starched-shirt types.